Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 30, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Divorce with kids, what happens to the house?
    So my friend is getting divorced and takes care of the two kids, almost all the time she is currently living in the house, per a temporary relief order (he is abusive.) Anyway, when the divorce gets going and it is time to split things what happens with the house? I told her that she should probably get the house just based on the fact that the kids live there. The home loan is in his name but the actual house is in both of their names. Will a court force her and her kids to leave just because he wants them to?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 04:36 PM
    No, the court will not automatically force her to leave. The Judge may well order the home to be sold and the profits split down the middle. Or, that the one who wants it, buy out the other. The deed registers both their names and so he cannot just push her out.

Good luck to your friend.
    Sunshine2 Posts: 70, Reputation: 11

May 30, 2007, 10:43 PM
    You think the court would just let them "turn the kids out?"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could ghosts jump from house to house? [ 20 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking to purchase a lot and build a new house. I "googled" the name of the road where the lot is to and 10 web links came up for that road being one of the most haunted places in CT. It reads that there is a "white lady" that is in one of the houses on the road. She is not a mean...

Worried Mom Son in trouble with divorce and kids [ 1 Answers ]

My sons wife left him Dec 8th took almost everything in the house and the kids. He works afternoon shift she the midnight shift they would trade the kids from car to car at the shift change. He would have the kids every weekend and everyday that they had off. This arrangement was OK until he had...

Chapter 13, divorce and the house [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings! Here's my situation. I am 1 month away from divorce trial. I have been in Chapter 13 bankruptcy and made all my payments for the last 16 months. My duration is 42 months. My wife is the co-petitioner on the Ch 13. We were exempted $40,000 on the equity of our home. The current...

Keeping the House after Divorce [ 9 Answers ]

I would like 2 know how I can keep my house without having 2 buy my husband out.He is very verbally abusive 2 my girls and myself.Is their any organizations that could help me keep my home and afford to make the payment on my own?

View more questions Search