Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Dogs, cats, horses et al
    I don't have any qualifications per se. My only claim to fame over the last few years and having reached the age of 65, that is at least a few, was and is and always will be healthy happy well excersed dogs; dogs that are real walkers because I am too.

I don't have a specific breed I have always enjoyed, just dogs in particular, but one I praised and I loved very much was an orphaned Borzoi called Dana.

When my old hound goes, which won't be a few more years yet, I hope, I plan on adopting a Greyhound from the rescue mission in Northern Ontario. Very strict qualifications they have and they come to your house and look over eveything to make sure you are a suitable mom. I am looking forward to that, because I know my dogs, and horses, and cats not on a qualified professional basis but when you sit with them at night cause they are sick, or just had a bad day at the vets, and look at your like they really appreciate the care, and you can read them totally, then you know you have arrived in the animal kingdom for good.

I have been called unqualified here in this regard, and one has said he was insulted by my input, but as said, I didn't intend anything like that.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 03:50 PM
    I don't have any qualifications either, Tickle. Grew up on a farm so we had all kinds of animals and while I learned basics, it was my Dad who did the tending and mending. When I was married we raised dogs and learned the value of being the top dog of the pack, so to say. Have a dog now who is a real gem. Her and I will be going througha rehab training program for dogs in the upcoming weeks. That ought to be a wonderful experience.

From what you said, I cannot see how you would be disqualified from being a home for a rescue Greyhound. Maybe I am not looking at it as I am supposed to, but how many people out there a have "everything" (knowledge, professional experience, etc.)? You have time and patience, caring and compassion, ability to expand your knowledge, and a willingness to open your door and heart. What am I missing?

Wishing you the best outcome in adopting a Greyhound.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    I dont have any qualifications per se. My only claim to fame over the last few years and having reached the age of 65, that is at least a few, was and is and always will be healthy happy well excersed dogs; dogs that are real walkers because I am too.

I dont have a specific breed I have always enjoyed, just dogs in particular, but one I praised and I loved very much was an orphaned Borzoi called Dana.

When my old hound goes, which wont be a few more years yet, I hope, I plan on adopting a Greyhound from the rescue mission in Northern Ontario. Very strict qualifications they have and they come to your house and look over eveything to make sure you are a suitable mom. I am looking forward to that, because I know my dogs, and horses, and cats not on a qualified professional basis but when you sit with them at night cause they are sick, or just had a bad day at the vets, and look at your like they really appreciate the care, and you can read them totally, then you know you have arrived in the animal kingdom for good.

i have been called unqualified here in this regard, and one has said he was insulted by my input, but as said, I didnt intend anything like that.
    You know tickle, I haven't been here long... and people don't always or rarely agree with me. Sometimes they are very disrepectful in how they do it. So please do not feel as though you are alone. You may not have specialized training in any animal area... but you have the compassion, to take a animal that was thrown away, abused, and neglected. You nurture its poor soul and give it the respect and devotion that it needs. You do not, do this so that you can toot your own horn. You do this out of nothing, but pure love for these animals. I would venture to say that when they come to you with a broken spirit , tail down, and dodging your hand, within weeks you let them know, by your actions that they are home and will never feel fear again. When those little creatures are bouncing with excitement when you pull up to your house. That is what makes you qualified. So I will be happy to read your post. Keep them coming.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Thanks, dear soul, I appreciate your input and your heartfelt opinion. Peace.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 05:17 PM
    tickle please clear your message box I am trying to send you something
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Oh tickle, you know some of these "experts" like to belittle anyone that cuts into their air time. I have always found you to be level headed and sincere. Don't let ole Dogboy bother you. He has told me I'm just plain stupid at least three times. There's one thing he don't know but I'll share it with you. On a full moon, I turn into a wolf. Hoooowwwwlllllll!
    Really.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 08:08 PM
    I know I am not a greyhound expert, since I loss every race I have ever bet on. My wife picks the pretty name and wins, so maybe the dogs name has something to do with it.

But yes, many experts, heck myself at times, get a little short and some have been here long enough at times they lack manners when dealing with others,
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Yes Chuck, you and bushg did a fine job on DocWill. Too bad he left, but after all, why would we want highly trained, experienced people answering questions when we have caring ones?
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Labman: Doc Will apparently could not handle a little "rebuttal" then that's his problem... you were the one that told me members were allowed rebuttal... he wanted to get personal... and call me a drunk among other things... hmmmwonder who encouraged some of this... how many private message's were sent discussing putting me in my "place" hhmmm so I fired back... "Rebuttal" That's my right as an American woman. Have a nice Day p.s. I have disagreed with you Did you run away? No and don't say it because he is new... I'm just as new as he is. 1. question was posted 2. I gave my opinion 3. he gave his rebuttal along with trying to belittle me. 4.I gave my rebuttal and was a big girl and laughed him off... then he accused me of being drunk 5. then I gave it to him with both barrells 6... he runs to you... you run to whomever blah... blah... blahh and your still doing it. You have the nerve to ask me to tell him I'm sorry... Never... It should be the other way around... but I won't hold my breath cause I couldn't care less what you or the good Doc thinks about me. That is also my right as an American woman! Tickle I'm sorry for my involvement on this thread stealing that Labman has started... but I can't bite my tongue on this one lol... or in this case break my fingers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

Dogs and Cats integration [ 2 Answers ]

I have a dog that is 6-7 years old and two cats one is 5-6 and the other is 13. My cats have been living in our workroom (where all our tools are) and I want to move them into the house but my dog likes to chase cats. Do you think that they will be able to get along soon? :confused:

Dogs and cats repeller what do you have? [ 2 Answers ]

Dogs and cats repeller what do you have?

Why Dogs and Cats are better than Kids [ 6 Answers ]

Why Dogs and Cats are better than Kids They eat less, don't ask for money, whine all the time, are easier to train, usually come when called, never drive your car, don't ever hang out with any drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't wear your clothes, and don't need a gazillion dollars...

List of poisonous foods for cats & dogs [ 8 Answers ]

CAN YOU PLEASE ADD TO THIS LISTING OF POISONOUS FOODS FOR CATS & DOGS WHICH WE MUST NOT FEED THEM AS THEY ARE VERY DANGEROUS? FOR DOGS: CHOCOLATE } GRAPES } including foods that contain them also! RAISINS } FOR CATS: ONIONS } including...

View more questions Search