Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gotcha3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Craftsman 8.5hp chipper/shredder
    Does anyone know how to remove the heavy, castiron impeller from the crankshaft? I have the protective housing removed and can't figure out how the impeller slides off the shaft. Any ideas?
    timsclark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Take out the bolt in the center. Screw in a 7/16 fine thread bolt (the longest thread you can find) and keep turning. The male end will hit the tapered shaft and push the impeller off.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 27, 2008, 09:13 AM

Hi,
    Cannot easily say sight unseen. Universally you can bet on a bolt in the center securing it to the crank. It will also be keyed, usually 5/32" square stock. There may may also be set screw(s) holding it in place(again 5/32" Allen wrench to loosen if there.) Many manufacturers make some provision for pushing the impeller off, such as a threaded area underneath that bolt in the center. Got a model#?
    Peace,
    Clarke
    barrya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Thanks for the post Tim. This worked just as you posted. There are no other keepers or square stock of any type on my machine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older Craftsman Tiller w/5hp Briggs and Stratton [ 11 Answers ]

I recently acquired an old tiller that I have gotten to run. It will only run on full choke. It will only till for about a minute or so before going dead. It will idle for a long period, but it's kind of a rough idle. Do I need to adjust the carberator? I have already changed out the gas and...

Duerr chipper, shredder, blower,bagger [ 2 Answers ]

In the recent wind storm a 100' fir tree fell on my shed crushing my 13 year old Duerr chipper(shredder, blower,bagger). I have an insurance claim and am supposed to locate the approximate original price of the machine. I am using my brother-in-laws computer to try to locate you for some answers....

MTD 5.5HP Chipper/Shredder [ 25 Answers ]

I have the mentioned unit and I can't get it to turn over. It has a pull string starter and it doesn't seem to generate a spark. Should I check the plugs. I don't use it much and did not drain it for storage. But I have a lot of debris from branches that came doen in a storm so I really need it. ...

Craftsman 20.5hp electric clutch overdrawing? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My Craftsman 20.5hp 50" deck tractor just got a battery a couple months ago and it seems to have trouble keeping it charged. I noticed that the Amp meter shows charging when the deck is disengaged but when the clutch is engaged it is discharging handily. Is an overdrawing clutch a known or...

View more questions Search