Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scomputer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2005, 09:10 AM
    Iron flange in concrete no holes to work with
    I have a problem, trying to install a new toilet; when we removed the toilet we notice a iron flange (or pipe coming up in concrete) with a rim and no holes to put the new flange on. This item coming up through the floor remind you of a upside down top hat. How do we install bolts for the toilet if we have nowhere to bolt it. We are living in house built over 50 year ago. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    scomputer
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 16, 2005, 02:02 PM
    How was the old one fastened down? Just time and a wax seal? Bolts that didn't seem to be screwed in? Sand or wire brush the top of the flange good. Look where the bolts should go, and see if you can see a couple circles of rust. If so, they are the top of old broken off bolts. You may be able to remove them. It will not be easy, see http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...=000035#000000

If there is no sign of old bolts, you could drill and tap holes for the bolts.

Tom has more experience with these things, and may have a better idea.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2005, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scomputer
    I have a problem, trying to install a new toilet; when we removed the toliet we notice a iron flange (or pipe coming up in concrete) with a rim and no holes to put the new flange on. This item coming up through the floor remind you of a upside down top hat. How do we install bolts for the toilet if we have nowhere to bolt it. We are living in house built over 50 year ago. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    scomputer

We're going to hafta get together on terms.
    "we notice a iron flange or pipe coming up in concrete."
    A pipe is not a flange. It took me a while to decode "upside down top hat" but I finally figured out you were looking at a cast iron closet flange caulked on a 4" cast iron closet bend. ( I guess it would look like a upside down top hat at that.)
    Are you saying there are no slots in the flange? If so there are inexpensive repair kits to fix the bolt hole situation. Is that your case? Labman touched on installing the toilet with bolts set in concrete. Let me take it a step futher. A closet flange isn't necessary to install a toilet. All a flange does is hold the bowl down securely to the floor. Wanna get yourself out of this with a minimum of hassle?
    Set the bowl over the pipe where it will set. Mark the holes on the cement. Now remove the toilet and take a 14" masonry bit and drill down 1 1/4" inch on the marked holes. Tap in plastic screw inserts. Pick up a set of wood screw closet bolts and screw them into the plastic inserts. At the same time you pick up the closet bolts also pick up a wax ring with a funnel. Set the toilet,give it a little twist to seat the seal, tighten the bolts, connect the water supply and you're home free. Hey! Sound like a plan? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Rotating Toilet 90 degrees on Cast Iron Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in a 60s vintage home with adequated crawl space. I need to rotate the toilet flange 90 degrees to install the new toilet as the orientation has changed with the remodel. The materials of construction for plumbing is cast iron. I am keeping the same elevation of floor....

Toilet flange on concrete [ 3 Answers ]

I saw this addressed in another thread, but my question has a twist. When my house was built (bi-level) the lower level was unfinished but I had them rough in plumbing for a 3rd bathroom. I have completed the other rooms, and am now ready to tackle the bathroom. The supply lines are fine, the...

Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have read forums on having the cast iron toilet flange being too high after tile removal. I have some additional questions on this: 1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e....

Remove cast iron flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a plastic (fiberglass?) shower pan with a new one. I have the existing pan free from the walls and subfloor, but it is still being held in place by the drain flange (I did remove the strainer!). The flange appears to be cast iron (it is very rusted inside) and is about 4 inches...

View more questions Search