Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    C. Burke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2005, 07:20 AM
    Ceiling Leak due to Bathtub
    I just recently moved into a brand new house. To date it is only 5 months old. Yesturday for the first time I took a bath in my tub, low and behold I go downstairs into the kitchen to see that my kitchen ceiling now has a hole and water was all over my kitchen floor. I know nothing about plumbling however I have been taking showers for the past 5 months and no leak... what happened? What do I do now? What needs to be done to get it fixed! PLEASE HELP!!

Very worried New Home Owner

C.Burke
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2005, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Burke
    I just recently moved into a brand new house. To date it is only 5 months old. Yesturday for the first time I took a bath in my tub, low and behold I go downstairs into the kitchen to see that my kitchen ceiling now has a hole and water was all over my kitchen floor. I know nothing about plumbling however I have been taking showers for the past 5 months and no leak .....what happened? What do I do now? What needs to be done to get it fixed! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Very worried New Home Owner

C.Burke
    If you have a access hole behind the tub open it and check to see exactly where the leak's coming from. If there is no access hole then you have no other option but to open up the ceiling. Cut a square hole and save the cutout piece, you will be patching it back later. Now close the tub stopper and run water in the tub. Does it leak with the stopper closed? Where from?
    Now drain it. Any leaks there and where are they? Fill the tub with as much water as you take a bath in. Could there be a chance that you splashed water over the side of the tub when you bathed? Let me know what you find and then we'll go about fixing it. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak from bathtub [ 6 Answers ]

Hi we have a leak onto our ceiling directly below our bathtub. It seems to be from the drain but at a loss of what to do next. It only leaks during a bath or a few minutes into a shower. Any help would be great. Thanks Ed

Bathtub leak only when husband takes shower [ 9 Answers ]

I have a strange question... we have a leak in our kitchen ceiling, directly under bath #1. The plumber came out twice and even reset the toilet in bath #1, but the problem still occurs. We determined it only occurs when my husband (not me, not my kids) takes a shower in bath #2, which is NOT...

Bathtub Leak [ 2 Answers ]

I need help figuring out what to do with my bathtub drain. It leaks when draining. Water seeps out from the bottom of the tub to the bathroom floor. My house is approximately 35 years old & built on a slab. I've found that if you pull the drain lever up about halfway & let it drain very slowly,...

Bathtub drain leak due to tub corrosion [ 1 Answers ]

We have a porcelain over steel tub that has started to leak to our downstairs. We pulled away the ceiling and saw that the tub looks like it is corroding around the drain. Is this something we can repair ourselves? Would installing a new drain fix the problem? How would that work? Of course,...

Bathtub Leak, No Access Panel [ 2 Answers ]

After many false starts (misdiagnoses from plumbers supplied by our home warranty company), I've pinpointed that our upstairs bathtub leaks when draining from a bath. It will not leak with a shower or if you only put a small amount of water in the tub. I've read the other posts in the forums...

View more questions Search