Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HomeworkMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2005, 06:06 AM
    Bearings
    A boat is sailing on a course of 340T for a distance of 100km. It then makes a left turn of 10 degrees and travels for 50km

Find the new bearing and find the distance of the boat from the home.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Help lol
    HomeworkMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2005, 06:12 AM
    Also this question
    A scout troop travels on a hike of 2km with a bearing of N48 E. they then turn south and travel on a bearing of S55 E and travel for 5km and camp for lunch.

How far is the camp from the starting point and find the bearing to get the scout troop back to their starting point

:confused: I hate bearings :(
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

May 16, 2005, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeworkMan
    A boat is sailing on a course of 340T for a distance of 100km. It then makes a left turn of 10 degrees and travels for 50km

find the new bearing and find the distance of the boat from the home.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

help lol
    Look at the picture I attached. I have never heard of bearings (perhaps I just don't know the name for it in my language), but distance from home should be pretty easy to calculate from what you have, using a "Sine theorem" or "Cosine theorem".

Call the length AB "a", BC "b" and AC "c". You want to know the length of "c".

"Cosine theorem" (I guess that's what you call it in english) says:
    c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2*a*b*cos( angle at point B )

Angle at point B = 180 - 10 (he made a 10 degrees turn) = 170 degrees
    a = 100
    b = 50

You have everything to calculate "c".
    Attached Images

Dr_Calculus Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2005, 08:43 PM
    What crocivic said is absolutely right. You just hafta draw the triangle and plug in the data that you have. The actual name is the "Law of Cosines" but whatever. Remember, however, that a, b, and c are arbitrary names for the sides, and that any side could be a, b, or c.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change the bearings on a hotpoint 9534? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi knowledgeable people! :) How do I change the bearings on a Hotpoint 1000 plus 9534 washing machine? I know it's an old model but I'm sure it still has some life in it yet! Does the drum have to come out and if so, how is that done? :confused: Any advice will be most appreciated! Thanks

Enclosed Bearings [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, Can anyone point me in the direction of a manufacturer for enclosed bearings? Done a couple of web searches but nothing leaps out. Thanks

Bearings in marine machinery [ 1 Answers ]

Kindly can any one give me details of types of bearings used in marine machinery

View more questions Search