Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mace7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Whom does back child support belong to the mother or adult child?
    :d
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 10:05 AM
    In Ohio the mother... because she had custody and supported the child. Other states may be different.
    041479 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 07:30 AM
    In Georgia, it also belongs to the mother so even if the child is grown and there is still money being paid it goes to the mother.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 07:37 AM
    It belongs to the mother for the support of the child. Ie: rent, food. Cloths for child, electric and other home expenses. Ex. Not for mom to get her hair done or for her vacation
    kcoyle Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

May 31, 2007, 09:00 AM
    I would have to go with Mother as well.
    BrittanyandRob Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 11:17 PM
    I am 22 years old and had the same situation. I will say, when I asked an attorney, they told me as long as the mother is caring wholely for the child the mother gets it. However if the child is independent, or paying bills, rent, or the like, the money goes to the child. It makes since, because the money is for the care of the payers child. Hope I helped.
    Tootruetooblue Posts: 61, Reputation: 17

Jun 14, 2007, 02:16 PM
    If it's back child support, the mom is being reimbursed for her costs for supporting the child at the time the support payments were actually due. If the child has become emancipated and is supporting him/herself, Brittanyandrob's response would make sense.
    blueeyestwenty Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

Aug 22, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Back support goes to reimburse the mother for the expenses you SHOULD have been helping with when the child was a minor.
    momimows Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 10:52 AM
    If you think about the expences of raising a child; when the parents are separate they half the expences. If the mother is paying her half and paying the father's half, he owes the mother for paying his half. Even if the child turns 18 and is on their own now, the "back" child support is to pay the mother back for paying the fathers share. None of it should go to the children.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Well I would have to say if the child is supporting themselves, it goes to the child.

My friend is 25 and has a child support card. His father pays his back child support and it goes on this card that he has... thus it goes to the child.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Hmmmm... seems I missed the post date lol... this was asked quiet awhile ago lol
    KennyWayne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2010, 11:01 AM
    Well my mothers husband abused me, I was deathly sick, and was never taken proper care of. Welfare took my brother because of this. Should she still get the money, or should we? After all we can prove the abuse we suffered, and mom akmost let me die with diabetes because she wouldn't take me to the hospital, and she had military insurances. Then what?

Oct 27, 2010, 11:04 AM
    Comment on KennyWayne's post
    Also my mothers husband was my step parent.

Oct 27, 2010, 11:04 AM
    Comment on KennyWayne's post
    I believe I and my brother should get the money.
    mwillis62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2011, 02:38 PM
    My sister and I are 39 years old and my so called father never paid any child support, my mom started getting child support payments last month in the amount of 617.00 my so called father finally starting collecting ssi and they are taking half... :) I hope my mom lives for at least another 13 years to collect all that was owed. The state assesed over 40,000 in interest.
    sweetpeavonhein Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2013, 09:52 AM
    It goes to the mother sinc ein a lot of cases the father has to be forced by the courts to even pay it . Am in that situation now and have been for last 13 yrs .
    cmayj Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 18, 2013, 01:45 PM
    Child Support is to maintain the home and "before separation" life style for the children. If you went into dept or had hardship in maintaining this because of an under payment of child support, then you should be entitled to this money. I am in this situation and currently waiting for an appeal to be heard. During the time he was under paying I had gone into debt over $30,000 borrowing off my mortgage. So we could stay in the same house and neighborhood. My intentions are to give my children some of the arrears because it was not only me that suffered it was them as well. They missed out on having things and doing things they could have during that time.
    Dandrea Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Sep 19, 2013, 09:19 AM
    They were asking for back child support. Something that has already been paid by the parent who didn't receive any support. So, I'm sure the parent couldn't afford to do the nails or hair at that time. However, the money belongs to the parent to do what they please with. They didn't ask what to spend it on but rather who does it belong to after financially raising a child alone. This is in regards to Daniels reply stating that the mother shouldn't get her hair/nails done. Asking what to do with it wasn't asked from this individual. And why am I replying to something 6 years ago.. geesh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Back child support [ 6 Answers ]

Daughter is 17 dad has never paid child support even though he said he woul.he would give her money at different times. I just filed with DHS in our state and want to know how far back will she be able to collect. She has 1year of high school & will go to college.

Back child support [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband never paid child support for my son and I never had the funds to pursue it with an attorney. Can my son now sue his biological father for the back child support. My son is 35 and has never had a relationship with his father even though he lives in the same town. He never tried to...

Back child support [ 2 Answers ]

I owe 2 1/2 years back child support had not work file for ssdi,just won case expecting lump sum can childsupport take lump sum if what % i.e. 1-100%

View more questions Search