Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ernest Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2005, 09:33 PM
    Wandering Stars
    Are all stars locked into galaxies or are there loose stars moving through space free to travel wherever they are heading?
    Stronghold Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2005, 02:41 PM
    Our star and system is moving... and yes other stars are moving about...
    Thad Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2006, 10:55 PM
    All stars that we can observe in the night sky appear to be part of galaxies or near galaxies.

Now, after saying that there is the problem of quasars. This points of light are very far away from our location. There are no near ones and they seem to have light enough to be entire galaxies themselves and yet, they look like points of light, as stars look like points of light.

So, there are great areas in space that seem to have no matter at all. We are in the Milky Way Galaxy and to travel to the nearest star from our sun would be a very dark journey of several light years. Then, if it were possible, if we were to travel to a different galaxy, we would have to go on a journey of 2 million light years to get to the nearest spiral galaxy like our own... the Andromeda Galaxy.

Stranger still, because of the proven theory of relativity, it would be possible to take a trip like that to the Andromeda Galaxy if you could build a ship that could go near the speed of light because the closer to the speed of light you go... time for you slows down and theoretically, you could travel 2 million light years and only age a short time. Of course, when you came back from your trip the earth would have aged millions of years. This is why we have science fiction because true science is very weird.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Mar 18, 2006, 11:23 AM
    The stars you are referring to are called rogue or exile stars.
    One way such stars are created is when one member of binary star system
    Goes supernova and loses a great portion of its mass. This reduces its gravitational grip on the other star causing it to wander off into what eventually might be intergalactic space.

Another way for this to happen is for binaries to come too close to a black hole where one is swallowed or torn apart causing a disruption of their gravitational relationship.
    The black hole at our galaxy's center, for example, is said to have produced two rogue, or exile stars in this way.

Article
    http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...way_exile.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name and Artist (And I swear, By the moon and the stars in the sky) [ 13 Answers ]

I am looking for the name and artist of the song that goes like this: And I swear, by the moon and the stars in the sky, I'll be there. I swear, like a shadow that's by your side, I'll be there. For better for worse, til death do us part, I'll love you with every beat of my heart, I swear. ...

Variable Stars [ 2 Answers ]

I have forgotten how scientists measure the distance to stars by studying nearby varible stars. Please explain.

Wandering Mouse [ 5 Answers ]

When I hold my mouse still, it often moves upward slowly & often to the left. It's not smooth movement either, it jiggles while it's moving. How do I stop this?

Wandering [ 20 Answers ]

I told this girl that I liked her, and she smiled and said okay. The next day she did smile at me a few times and spoke. But it seem to be a little awkward. Just wandering if she likes me back.:confused:

Comic books based on rock stars [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'd like to know how many rock, pop, rap or metal artists have their own comic book. I know, for example, that Kiss have one, but I don't know if they are more examples. Is there any website with information about all that? Thanks!!

View more questions Search