Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TGross4011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Freon
    How can determine if I have enough Freon in the system? Someone told me if coolant pipe is not very cold then there is not enough Freon. Is it true?

TG
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 30, 2007, 10:22 AM
    To do the job correctly you will need a set of wet and dry thermometers to determine the inside temp and humidity. Then you will need a set of regular thermometers to check the air in air out of the condensing unit and liquid/suction line temperatures. Then you will need a set of gauges to check the high side/low side pressures.

After you have all the readings then you will be able to figure out if the subcooling/superheat is correct for the unit.

Some units have a label posted on the outside unit that will tell you what the charge is. If that is the case you will need a recovery machine and recovery jug. Then you remove all the freon (refrigerant) as you call it and then weight in the exact charge.

The method you mentioned is the beer can cold method and it never worked it was just a rumor for the uninformed.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

May 30, 2007, 04:44 PM
    hvac1000 is 100% correct. If you try to charge it so the suction line is real cold, you will probably over charge it and that will destroy your compressor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freon capacity [ 9 Answers ]

How many pounds of freon does it take to charge a 3 ton unit? Thanks, Don

A/c freon pressures [ 5 Answers ]

My a/c unit is not cooling correctly,unit runs all night and cools somewhat,I belie=ve the pressure is low,what should be the readings on low & high side tubing.

Getting Freon out of a Freezer? [ 2 Answers ]

We have an old deep freezer that we need to break apart in order to get it out of our basement. ( It still works but the lid is broken.) How can we get the freon out of the freezer so we can use a sawsall to cut it apart? Thanks for input. constance

Freon cap left off [ 11 Answers ]

I had a new heater installed this winter. There were two installers: one guy who did almost all of the work and another guy who spent most of the day outside talking on his cell phone. The cell phone dude was the working on the outside unit. We tried to test out our a/c today, and guess what?...

How much Freon [ 2 Answers ]

How much freon (R19) should be used to fill a home A/C unit. I need to replace the evaporator and must dischrage the system and refill it.

View more questions Search