Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chara72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 11:13 PM
    New condenser fan motor wiring
    We just installed a new condenser fan motor (A.O. Smith OYK1028) and are feeling a bit lost with finishing up with the wiring. Both the old and the new motors (this is an OEM replacement) have three wires: purple, brown, and black. We did not remove the old motor, so we did not see how the wires were connected to the capacitors/system.

This is a split system and there are two capacitors, both of which are good. It also seems that the wiring diagram that came on the motor is at odds with the wiring diagram that belongs with the outdoor unit. I have included pictures of what we have. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images

hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 30, 2007, 10:47 AM
    First off you always replace the motor capacitor when you change a condenser fan motor. BTW the smaller capacitor is for the fan motor. The larger one is for the compressor.

Next. Follow the wiring diagram that is on the new motor since it is possible that the new motor will be wired differently than the old motor.

I am afraid to give you my opinion of how to wire the motor and I would rather rely on the motor manufactures wiring diagram. If you wire it incorrectly you can smoke/damage the motor and that is not covered under any warranty you might have got when you bought the new motor.
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Sep 29, 2013, 03:06 AM
    Black is line1 and line 2 to Purple and brown is to the run cap on the fan terminal

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser fan motor replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Rheem heat pump and have purchased a replacement condenser fan motor. It had an Emerson KA55HXPAM-7255 and was crossed over to an A O Smith ORM 1008. My problem is the wiring, the new motor has one more wire than the old one. I had orange, brown, black on the old one. The new one has...

How do I wire up my new AC condenser fan motor? [ 7 Answers ]

My new AC condenser fan motor has an extra wire. What do I do with it? AC is a 1996 SEER 12 Rheem. New motor is an A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 208 RPM 208-230 volt. Old motor has 3 wires, black, brown, and orange. New motor has 4. Black, brown, orange, and brown with a white stripe. Does anybody...

What killed my heatpump condenser fan motor? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a heatpump that used a three speed condenser fan motor controlled by a computer board. The board would select the fan speed using one of three relays (one for each speed) connected to the corresponding motor wire for each speed. The board needed replaced because it was not operating the...

Condenser Fan Motor Replacement [ 9 Answers ]

I’m attempting to replace the condenser fan motor on a Trane XB1000. It originally came with a .25 hp GE motor with mounting stud that are about 3 inches apart. The only suitable replacement that specs out (type, volts, amps, rpm, etc.) is an AO Smith unit, but the mounting studs are about 3.75...

Wiring of a Rheem Condenser fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

The motor looks to have 2 orange wires, 1 black wire, and 1 brown wire. Where do they go back to. Do the 2 orange wires go to the capacitor? Black go to contact + and brown to common? The 2 orange wires have continuity between them with no or little resistance. Are these both ground wires or...

View more questions Search