Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    connectuwright Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Government contracted work
    I was hired by a union contractor to do some work out of state, out of town and out of the country, all these jobs were on the military base, a government contract. Am I supposed to get prevailing wage rate? I'm a comm and system installer, very experienced, based out of California. Do you know what I should be getting paid an hour?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Whatever your contract calls for that you signed that's what you get paid. There are no negotiations between you and the contractor. The company and union have already agreed to the wage scale.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 06:08 PM
    There are rules on companies doing contract work, to pay the listed prevailing wage for that specific work and job descriptions.

I do understand, but am not aware of what different exemptions their may be for small or minority owned businesses, for those not doing long term contracts and the such.

But normally as a member of a union if you have a question about this, you would speak to your union rep, who would check on this,
    connectuwright Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Whatever your contract calls for that you signed thats what you get paid. There are no negotiations between you and the contractor. The company and union have already agreed to the wage scale.
    The problem is, I'm not in the union yet.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 04:34 AM
    Your probation is only for a set length of time, and your rate of pay for that period is already set. Actually when the time limit is over, they will take union dues out of your check, but hopefully your pay rate goes up, as you are no longer considered as a probationer. See your union rep as he has the answers you seek.
    concernworker Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Why are our question not being answered.
    Question number 1 Is there any reason why a new collar worker would want the same benefits and clout that blue collar workers were able to get by unionizing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Only in the Government. [ 1 Answers ]

Subject: Only in the Government 150 years ago, President Lincoln found it necessary to hire a private investigator - Alan Pinkerton for protection. That was the beginning of the Secret Service. Since that time, the federal government has produced a large number of multi-letter agencies such...

Government [ 38 Answers ]

What do you think is the best form of government? Monarchy? Like the middle east or astrocracy which I don't think exists anymore, or democratic which most of the countries claim to be!

View more questions Search