Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Talking to boss about hated changes to job
    Okay... I need advice.

How can I tell my boss that I hate my job? I mean HATE it.

I loved it when I started, and now I dread going in every day. When I started, I did some data entry, some paperwork, and answered phones, and generally just helped out where needed around the office.

Now they have me doing collections calls (in addition to those other duties), and frankly... I hate collections and feel that if I were going to do collections, I'd do it for a company where I was making $18.00 per hour, not $12 per hour.

They have also hired someone else in the time that I've been here, and gave that person many of the parts of my job I liked doing, and in return gave me collections. It's almost as if they're trying to get me to quit, by giving me only the things no one else wants to do.

How do I convey (without sounding like a whiner) that if I have to continue to do collections, I will be looking for another job? I don't want to sound like I'm giving ultimatums, but frankly, I'm so frustrated that I could cry.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 02:33 PM
    You are damned if you don't and damned if you do. I would have something else lined up before I gave them an ultimatum, and that is what you are going to have to do if you want to get your point across. Tell him exactly how you feel and if it takes you out the door, that is what you are going to have to put up with.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Yes, I would not use the word hate to my boss but perhaps ask why the collectoins were added to you.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Oh, I know why they were added: I'm good at it. It just eats me from the inside to have to do. I honestly think the only people that enjoy collections are those that have never been IN collections.

I'm just excruciatingly frustrated, and have no idea how to bring this up that isn't going to put my boss on the defensive.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Hello Synnen my dear. Knowing your personality the little bit that I do, I have a feeling that once you showed that you were capable of handling more complicated tasks than what you were hired for, your boss was quite happy to hand off the more challenging work to you, and found someone to fill your old position. You are basically stuck. I don't think there is any good way to approach this problem with your boss without the possibility that you might lose your job. Just keep in mind, that when an employee doesn't want to do work that has been assigned, even if you managed to find a perfect way to approach it, you will be labeled a problem. Owners and managers generally just want an employee to do what has been assigned. Most aren't known for enjoying a discussion about unwanted tasks with their employees. Companies always say, speak up if there is a problem, but they are just empty words to make them look PC. In truth, they hate it when people put a wrench into their plans.

So, you do appear to have a new job within his company, whether you like it or not. I don't know what the discussion was when you were hired, or what he told you his expectations were. Either he thought that you would be doing whatever he asked you to do and didn't think this would be an issue, or, realized he had found a capable employee at the right price. The proper way for him to have handled this would have been to speak with you about whether you were interested in doing this other work on a permanent basis. If he was a fair boss, he would have given you the opportunity to tell him you weren't interested in doing this work and he probably would have hired someone at a higher salary to do that job. So, as it stands, now he gets someone capable, and doesn't have to pay you more money. Your boss made a unilateral decision.

I know it is a pain in the arse, but you need to brush off your resume and start looking around. You may actually find that once you are offered another job, you won't even want to discuss staying at your old one. In any event, I think you should expect, once you find another job and tell him the reason you are leaving, that he will offer you more money to stay, not your old job. He has already replaced you by hiring another person so there just isn't anything to really talk to him about here, unless you think he will be willing to get rid of her, or give her the work you are doing now. If this isn't a possible scenario, when you tell him you have found another job, that is the time when you should state you are truly sorry about this, but you expected to be doing the work that you agreed to do, didn't expect the job to evolve into what it has, and it is not something that you enjoy doing. Tell him you like working for him and regret having to leave and, if anything changes, you would be happy to discuss coming back to do the work you were doing before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

Former boss harassing me [ 4 Answers ]

I was terminated on 01/29/2007 and today on 03/24/2007 I got a certified letter from my former employer demanding that I pay $464.00 for a charge on a company credit card that I did not transact. They said if I don't pay it by 04/20/07 they will file legal charges against me. This is in the state...

Who's the Boss? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm the Boss The boss was complaining in our staff meeting the other day that he wasn't getting any respect. The next day, he brought a small sign that read: "I'm the Boss!" He then taped it to his office door. Later that day when he returned from lunch, he found that someone had...

Trying to please the boss [ 2 Answers ]

Help please - I love to cook- all sorts of foods and my boss knows this and know he has asked me to make something from his past and I can't find a rec. for it anywhere - The name of it is Sarmoli Momaliga (its a romaninan dish ) Im sure I spelled it totally wrong but you get the idea ....

View more questions Search