Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CICD Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2005, 07:55 AM
    Volunteer in Africa
    CICD and the Humana People to People movement are looking for volunteers. You can contribute to the fight against AIDS and poverty by joining the Development Instructor program.
    A life changing experience – for yourself and the people in Africa you work with!
    You can work with:
    - Child Aid
    - Pre-School Program
    - HIV/AIDS prevention
    - Environment and tree planting
    - Social work with street children
    - Education

A 14 month program. 6 month training in England. (course fees apply) 6 months development work in Africa, and 2 months evaluation and information work.

Previous qualifications are not needed! You need to be: 18+, hardworking, motivated and flexible

College for International Co-Operation and Development (CICD)
    Te(+44) 07813 854 298 or (+44) 01964 631 826
    www.cicd-volunteerinafrica.org
    www.humana.org
    www.drh-movement.org
    [email protected]
    lucyinthesky Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2005, 01:52 AM
    Regarding Volunteering in Africa..
    It has been a dream of mine to work with people in Africa for over a year now (I'm 19). I'm in college now, finishing my freshman year... so I don't know if I would take a year off college or just do something after college. I was wondering the lengths of the programs... so far they're 1-3 years, which makes sense... you can't help out in a month. I was wondering if there were shorter/longer ones that I missed. Also I've read some young women's accounts of being afraid of been mistreated in some way by men when in the foreign country. I was wondering the appropriate way to dress, wear your hair in Africa... because I'm not familiar with that aspect of the culture, I wanted to know how one should present oneself out of respect for the culture that they're in and to deter the occasional hungry eyed male. I understand that in whatever culture you are in there will be men who will be attracted to women even when they're not wanted, however in a foreign culture, it's necessary to know how at least the women in that culture carry themselves to better blend in, so one can focus on their work/helping others, and not worrying about being harassed.
    CICD Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2005, 01:30 AM
    Advice
    The best advice about dress I could give you is BE MODEST. Most cultures are different, and you have research before you go. That's east enough to do. But the basics are, don't look too rich, (if you are in Africa and white, you'll be a target for robbery) dress cleanly and again be modest. No midriffs, no cleavage, no short shorts. Something you could wear in front of your family and your parent's friends and feel comfortable.
    But yes, most programs run from 14 months. There are some others that run for 3 months all the way up to 5 years. Let me know if you want more info! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Volunteer in Africa [ 1 Answers ]

CICD and the Humana People to People movement are looking for volunteers. You can contribute to the fight against AIDS and poverty by joining the Development Instructor program. A life changing experience – for yourself and the people in Africa you work with! You can work with: - Child Aid...

Volunteer in Africa [ 1 Answers ]

CICD and the Humana People to People movement are looking for volunteers. You can contribute to the fight against AIDS and poverty by joining the Development Instructor program. A life changing experience – for yourself and the people in Africa you work with! You can work with: - Child Aid...

View more questions Search