May 29, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Political Science
    What does electoral vote mean?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 25, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenick
    What does electoral vote mean?
    Electoral vote : the number of persons that elect the party's contender in the election for President. Each State has a number of these votes, related to it's size. Within each State the people vote for the candidates, but the winner gets all electoral votes, i.e. "The winner get's all" system.
    Popular vote : actual number of people who vote for the candidates in each State.
    Example : Hillary Clinton won more electoral votes than Barack Obama did.
    So far she has 219 Electoral College votes against Senator Obama 202 electoral votes.
    So the candidate with most electoral votes becomes the party's Presidential candidate, even if the total overall number of the popular vote for the other candidate is higher.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

American political parties [ 15 Answers ]

Are there any other active political parties in the United States besides the Republicans and the Democrats? What I mean by active is, do they hold any seats in congress, or other areas of government? If not, why are there only 2 political parties? In Canada, right now we have 5 parties who occupy...

Is political correctness what it used to be? [ 5 Answers ]

Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us? I get confusing readings from the media on this one. I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from...

Political parties [ 3 Answers ]

How do political parties influence the selection of canidates running for election at the state and local level?

Political limericks [ 9 Answers ]

Join in if you can do one better. All for Poo and giggles... This was written by imo at japantoday forum at limericks R us. There once was a president named bush Who flew by the seat of his tush About his vision, when queried He said, I have a great theory

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search