Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mylene Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Theft Under $5000, Toronto, ON, Age 21
    Just yesterday, I was charged with theft under $5000.

The amount I stole totaled just under $49

I was in shoppers drug mart with the original itention to buy solution for my contacts.
    I came across some makeup, and for whatever reason, decided to take it.

Usually, I would have no problem purchasing it.. but I didn't have enough money with me & I don't know what came over me.. greed I suppose?. but I concealed it in my purse.

I proceeded to pay for the contact solution, but as I left the store, undercover security itentified himself and arrested me.

I was taken to the back room, required to give id.. then mall security and police were called.

I was given a date for finger printing and court.

The independent security company is also charging me $450 as a flat rate (which he claimed is charged for everyone who is caught.. I will be sent formal documentation of this in the mail). I was also told that if I do not pay this fine, I can be taken to civil court with extra fines if I do not pay. Is this fair?

Now, I suppose, paying this fine is not a problem. I would like advice however.
    I am more concerned about having a criminal record!

This is my first offense, and the officer did tell me that I'd likely get a "slap on my wrists" as a warning.. but still advise that I seek legal help.

I do not have the resources to seek outside paid counsel and will be going to court on my own.

Any advice on what I can do to ensure no record given my situation? Any steps I can take before the court date?

I am not excusing what I did. Believe me, I am apologetic and regretful.. and would do anything to take my decision back. It was stupid!! I have learned my lesson and know that it is something I will never do again. I am willing to repay the debt, do comunnity service, whatever is necessary.

I am simply asking for constructive advice on how to proceed with my sitation.
    I would appreciate any sincere HELP. Thanks

PLEASE ADVISE.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mylene
    the independent security company is also charging me $450 as a flat rate (which he claimed is charged for everyone who is caught.. i will be sent formal documentation of this in the mail). I was also told that if i do not pay this fine, I can be taken to civil court with extra fines if i do not pay. Is this fair?
    No it is not fair, but then, it isn't fair you tried to steal from them either.

this is my first offense, and the officer did tell me that i'd likely get a "slap on my wrists" as a warning.. but still advise that I seek legal help.
    That is true, first offence usually just a slap on the wrist.

any advice on what i can do to ensure no record given my situation? any steps i can take before the court date?
    You could look into the Alternative Measures program. Talk to your lawyer about that.

I am not excusing what i did. believe me, i am apologetic and regretful.. and would do anything to take my decision back. it was stupid!!! I have learned my lesson and know that it is something i will never do again. i am willing to repay the debt, do comunnity service, whatever is necessary.
    That's good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft Over $5000 Over Age of 19 [ 1 Answers ]

About 4 months ago my friend and I were caught stealing from our employer, It was caught on camera the one time (the night we got caught) They took that money and put us in rooms and questioned us. The security guy told us we were under arrest but didn't offer for us to speak to a lawyer they told...

Theft Over $5000 over the age of 19 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. Im stumped. Im sure you get this a lot, people coming on and stating that they are sorry and have changed there ways. Well I am going to say that also. But its true I have relocated myself to an area where I can not get in trouble, where I am working full-time and just being a good...

Theft Under $5000 - Age 15 [ 3 Answers ]

I have no idea if I have a criminal record or not. I was caught stealing and I recall the security guy saying I was being charged with Theft Under $5000.00 But I wasn't give a court date, no fingerprints taken, and it has been a week since the incident and I haven't gotten a call from the...

Theft under 5000 [ 4 Answers ]

Today I had a friend arrested for theft under 5000 The situation is: She was in a large grocery store, she put all her grocery in a plastic bag and was looking at the flower section INSIDE the store when the security arrested her and then the police took her and detained her in a cell for the...

View more questions Search