Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Theodoros Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 02:02 AM
    MTD Ride on Mower
    Hello

I have a MTD ride on mower which came with the house I have just moved into

It used to start and run okay, but now it seems to start and once a load is put on it seems to lose power after awhile and stop. Once it cools down it start s okay and the same thing happens again.

Now it does not start at all without the choke pulled all the way out and once I engage the gears it stops again I.e. it won't run without the choke on.

Thank you for your time
    Theo.
    chosen01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 02:28 AM
    Hi,
    The carburetor needs an adjustment or overhaul... there is a fuel inlet needle which you can adjust, which you will find near the bottom facing towards the front of the carby... just try turning it while the engine is running.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 06:14 AM

Hi,
    Obvious fuel problem, I agree. Time to rebuild and clean the carb. Provide engine numbers and I can be more helpful.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    PS Do not forget to replace the fuel filter, also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mtd mower won't start [ 10 Answers ]

I just bought a used riding lawn mower. It had started fine each time I went to look at it. Looks like it was been treated well although quite dusty. I was told that it was used very little in the last few years. It is a MTD 16.5hp riding mower. So I brought it home today and mowed the front...

87-88 MTD Riding Mower [ 6 Answers ]

Just bought a 32" 8HP B&S MTD riding mower Model 138-322-000. The guy I bought it from said his brother had adjusted the speed somehow so their elderly father wouldn't fall off the tractor. I haven't been too successful with trying to get back the speed. I have also noticed that when you put it...

MTD Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings All, I have an MTD 12hp 36inch cut riding mower that I just bought as a spare. I was told it needed a new battery so I bought and installed it. Problem is when I try to start it I get a whining or "spinning" sound. I'm far from being a mechanic BUT it sounds like a starter and or...

Ride on mower engine problem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a ride on Snapper mower powered by a 14HP Briggs & Stratton engine. Model 287707, Type 023501 Code 9601084A I can start the engine with the choke engaged and it will run. But when I take it off choke the engine stalls. Do you have any idea what the possible causes could be....

Mtd mower/ not starting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mtd yard machine that has a 18 hp brigs. This machine will only start and run buy shorting the 2 post on the solenoid, and the key on when you shut the key off it turns off.? The motor has been removed and put on another mower today and I have the same problem different solenoid, starting...

View more questions Search