Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thebicman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Shower floor not sloped toward drain
    I just replaced my shower and put in slate tile on floor and walls. I tried to put in a sloped mortar floor before putting in the tile but I did not put enough slope in it and of coarse did not check it before laying the tile. Now I have a beautiful shower with water that sits and doesn't drain properly. Any ideas? Do I have to completely re-build the floor or is there any way to add something on top that can help slope it?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 29, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Ive Got To Say No On That One, I Guess You Could Lay More Tile On Top Of Your Floor But You Have To Deal With The Drain And The Tile That Is Cut Around It.

If You Can Remove The Drain And Still Reinstall It Where Its Not Going To Leak , Id Say Just Remove It And Lay Some New Tile On Top Of What You've Already Done, But To Be Honest Im Not To Big A Fan Of That,

Tear It Out , Fix It Right

May 29, 2007, 09:23 PM
    I was afraid of that... I was hoping there might be some kind of clear material I could put on top of the low area... all I need is about 1/4 inch and I would be okay. Can I put another layer of thin mortar on top of the slate and tile over that? Or do you think I should pull out the first layer and start from scratch... will new mortar bond to the first layer of mortar?

May 30, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Did you put a pan liner in first before you started tiling?
    Its going to be tough to remove the tile without damaging the liner.
    If you tear out you'd have to go all the way back to the sub floor and start over, even some of the wall tile would have to come down so you can lap the rubber membrane up the wall.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 30, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Here's an "off-the-wall" idea for you to consider... I suppose it may be worth trying before you tear out the new slate or try something to cover it... I've never done this (or even heard of it being done, for that matter) but what have you got to lose? If the slate tile is at least 1/4" thick... the slope correction doesn't have to be much and you can lower your drain a little bit... maybe you can use a diamond blade on your saw and cut some slots or grooves shallow at the high point(s) going deeper toward the drain and thereby provide a channel (or channels) that will carry the water to the drain. I don't know, but it may be worth a try. If it works... I'm sure you'll have to apply a sealant to the cut slate in the slots to prevent any absorption of water.

Good luck!

May 30, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Yes... I put in a mortar bed first, then a liner which I continued up the wall about 18 inches, then put in the final mortar on top of that... so I guess I can pull out the slate and it shouldn't hurt the liner... I assume I will then just be able to add a new layer of mortar over the low area and re-tile... would I be crazy to just add another layer of tile on top of the slate?

May 30, 2007, 10:17 PM
    I kind of like the idea of cutting a channel... I am not sure if it would work either but I may
    Try it before I rip the floor out... I will let you know if it works.

May 31, 2007, 04:56 AM
    I Just Talked To My Tile Guy, He Mentioned If You Can Remove The Drain Then Just Run Another Layer Of Tile And This Time Give It The Slop You Need,
    His Biggest Concern Was Making Sure The Drain Was Waterproof Again
    But Is Is Ok To Lay The Tile Ontop Of The Other Tile.

May 31, 2007, 10:37 PM
    Thanks. I think that is what I will try to do... I will let you know how it comes out. If any other ideas please keep them coming.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain in basement floor [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm remodeling the bathroom in my basement. The bathroom now has a toilet & a sink. I just moved in this home. Under the sink cabinet there is what looks like a drian pipe that sticks up from the floor. This is not being used, the drain for the sink is pipe on a seprate pipe. The pipe I'm...

Shower Floor Drain [ 1 Answers ]

How do I raise a shower floor drain as we are installing new tile over the old tiles?

Tile floor drain in a new shower [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 4' by 8' double shower in a master bathroom. I will be tiling all the walls as well as the floor. The floor right now is 3/4" cdx plywood with another layer of 1/2" cdx plywood over that for strength. I have a pvc pipe stubbed up in the middle for the floor drain, and that is as...

Shower drain and floor [ 1 Answers ]

We are getting our shower floor and drain replaced, and have a problem with the installation. The plumber installed a new drain, but the person who was going to lay the mud floor, said that the drain was not secured. The plumber says that the liner can be cut, the drain secured, and a patch put...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search