Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

May 12, 2005, 02:26 PM
    Caps Lock Problem
    Hiya All
    When I use the Caps Lock key, for a split second my screen goes black with the text in white, works OK after. Any ideas please. David.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2005, 04:49 AM
    First guess is that it might be some kind of accesibility helper thing - flash the screen so that you know caps lock is on or something like that.

What version of Windows (I'm assuming you aren't using Linux) are you running? Also is this in all programs or just some? Does this happen if you are just looking at the desktop? Do you have any software installed that provides extra functions for your keyboard?

Might be an idea to load up Control Panel >> Accesibilty Options and see if there is anything in there.

May 19, 2005, 06:27 AM
    Caps Lock Problem
    Hiya LTheobald.
    Thanks for you reply. O/S is Win ME, Labtec wireless keyboard, not had any problems before. It all goes funny whatever is showing on the moniter. Been in accessibility options and unchecked "Give warning message when turning a feature on" no difference though. When in desktop screen turns a lovely light brown with multi-colour shortcuts. Also happens with "scroll lock" and "num lock". Don't have anything extra for keyboard. No un-invited lodgers. Thought "Word" had been corrupted but it happens in "Works" too. Tried my other keyboard, same. Must have been like it a while so system restore no good. Thanks anyway mate. It's not causing any probems elsewhere so I'll leave it. David.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2005, 02:34 PM
    Have you asked Labtec?
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2005, 05:27 AM
    The fact that it is the three "Lock" keys points to some kind of helper software. Try looking in the Add/Remove Programs section in Control Panel. See if they are programs in there you don't recognise, find them and see if they sound like they may be causing the problem.

You said it happened in Word & Works - any other programs? Notepad/Wordpad? Excel or any other MS Office program? If it only happens in Word & Works, might be worth checking the options for the programs and then sending an email to Microsoft seeing if they have any input.

May 20, 2005, 07:12 AM
    Caps Lock Problems
    Thanks for your suggestions Scott and LTheobald. Happens whatever is showing on moniter. It's not just Labtec Keyboard, same with my Logitech. No foreign programmes. Will try another moniter, see if that makes any difference. Thanks, David.

May 20, 2005, 09:03 AM
    Caps Lock
    Hiya.
    Changed moniter, still the same. Never mind I could be unique. As long as it causes no problems I think I can live with it. Thanks anyway, David.

May 23, 2005, 02:09 AM
    Caps Lock Problems
    Hiya All.
    Couldn't leave it alone after you people tried to help me. Went into accessibility options again, tried sound this time, unchecked sound sentry and voilą, so it WAS an accessibility helper thing LTheobald. Only thing is I can't show it off to my friends now. Thanks all, David.
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2005, 04:59 AM
    Well glad we were able to help :D
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2005, 05:15 AM
    Caps Lock
    Hi,
    The following may or may not solve this issue; but there is a good chance the scanreg /fix will do it.
    Here is a listing of Maintenance steps; including fixing the Registry.

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

Before doing any of the following; turn off wallpaper and screensavers before re-starting or re-booting the computer.

Safe Mode is best where indicated, because most programs are not running meaning their files are closed, or not in use. This allows them to be scanned much better, repaired, or defragged better.

1. Scandisk
    Start in Safe Mode by:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter
    After it boots to Safe Mode, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and click on Scandisk.
    (It is faster if set on "Standard", the "Thorough" usually is not needed and takes a long, long time).
    Click on "Start" and let it run until finished.

2. Defrag
    When Scandisk is finished, click on "Close".
    Now, go back to the same place, but this time, click on "Defrag".
    Click on OK, and wait until it finishes (might take 1 hour if not done within a month).
    After it finishes, Click on OK or whatever.
    Then, re-boot.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

May 30, 2005, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehazel1953
    Hiya All.
    Couldn't leave it alone after you people tried to help me. Went into accessibility options again, tried sound this time, unchecked sound sentry and voila, so it WAS an accessibility helper thing LTheobald. Only thing is I can't show it off to my friends now. Thanks all, David.
    You REALLY should read everything fred.. They fixed it WITHOUT all that useless info you gave!

Murray
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2005, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SESaskDFC
    You REALLY should read everything fred.. They fixed it WITHOUT all that useless info you gave!!

Murray
    Now, Now Murray. Fred's info wasn't totally useless. It was just useless in this instance. But I agree, if Fred had bothered to read the whole thread he would have seen that the problem had been fixed and that the problem had nothing to do with items he mentioned. Of course, that's not how Fred seems to do things. Fred seems to jump in wherever he thinks he can pad his numbers.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

May 30, 2005, 01:36 PM
    You are right Scott.. My apologizes fred.. Your post was not totally useless, just simply useless for the matter at hand!

Murray

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water hammer/Air Lock Problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, When ever I turn on my hot water (basin) for the very first time for the day, there is no banging noise. However, after a few minutes after hot water is flushed out, when I try to turn on the hot water again, there is a loud banging noise. This only happens to my hot water and not the...

Mpg-caps [ 16 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of MPG-caps and do they work?

Is it an air lock? [ 4 Answers ]

I had a leaking isolator valve that is connected to my bath hot water tap, so I decided to change it. I turned-off the cold water mains and opened the hot water taps in the bathroom and kitchen to drain the system. I have the cold water tanks in the loft and the hot water cylinder in the bathroom....

Sellect all/caps locked/cut n paste issues windows xp [ 5 Answers ]

I recently got this lap top and I notice (maybe because I am accidentally touching a wrong key that all of a sudden the only parts of a paragraph more or less then I wanted become highlighted when I want to cut and paste. Another thing that happens is that the caps all get locked in this strange...

Air lock? [ 2 Answers ]

I am pumping water half a mile through 22mm pipework at mains pressure over a hill 20ft high and it then drops 60ft where the water comes out in at varying pressures and occasionally stops for a few seconds. Could this be caused by air trapped in the pipe at the top of the hill? The water runs...

View more questions Search