Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2005, 01:13 PM
    Cashing out 401k
    I am moving to Australia from the US next year and wish to cash out my 401k. What penalties would I pay. I am not retirement age.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 13, 2005, 06:03 PM
    Lisad:

You will pay income taxes (both state and federal) on any amount that you receive prior to the year you turn 59.5 years of age. Further, you will pay a punitive 10% early withdrawal penalty.

How much money are we talking about?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing out 401k [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently quit working and am considering cashing in my 401k. Approx how much will I loose compared to rolling it over into a ira and then cashing that in?

Cashing out a 401k with a loan [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a loan I am paying back to my 401k and am thinking about cashing out, but I'm not sure if this is possible or not. This might not be a good idea because I'm guessing the loan would be considered part of that cash out, which means I'd be paying taxes on money I won't even be seeing...

Cashing in 401k [ 3 Answers ]

I have major amounts of debt. I am currently looking towards relocation. My question is.. If I cash out my 401k what is the penalty? Do I pay taxes on it upfront or at the end of the year? I declared bankrupcty once and unable to do it again. Lately this seems like me only other option. Any info...

Cashing out 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I am 49 yrs old with a 401k sitting in a previous employers plan (about $70k) and thinking about cashing out to eliminate the debt that I have ($30K from consolidation). I don't see any other way to get out from under it. I know the consequences of doing it; penalty, taxes, lost future income....

Cashing in 401k penalty [ 0 Answers ]

In 2002 I cashed in a 401k and received about 14,000. I knew about the taxes but didn't know for sure I would receive a penalty because everything I read said I "may" and I figured they would let me know... anyway, I owed the IRS 1,800 and they put me on a pmt plan of $25 to federal IRS every month...

View more questions Search