Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justflawless Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Hot tub bad for varicose veins?
    Hello, I've heard that hot or warm shower or tub bath is not recommended if you have varicose veins.. but they say a warm bath in the tub is relaxing to the nerves and doesn't aggravate the condition..

Any professional opinions?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 12:45 PM
    The reason why hot tubs and saunas are not recommended for those who have varicose veins is that they can contribute to the widening and congestion of leg veins, pooling of blood in the veins.

There is the school of thought that says spas and hot tubs are safe, providing the temperature does not go above 102 degrees F.

A warm bath in your home? Why not, being mindful of the water temperature.

Here is a link to the Vein Clinic's website. They have some information posted there:

Prevention & Cause Of Varicose Veins and Spider Veins
    VeinDoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justflawless
    hello, i've heard that hot or warm shower or tub bath is not recommended if you have varicose veins.. but they say a warm bath in the tub is relaxing to the nerves and doesn't aggravate the condition..

any professional opinions?
    Hello-
    I've been treating varicose vein disease for nearly 17 years. I feel that hot showers/bath tubs are not going to be of much significance either way.
    However, steam baths, hot tubs/spas are anther matter. As a way to cool our body temperature, surface veins are flooded with blood when we are exposed to very high temperatures. Therefore, these environments should worsen/aggravate varicose vein disease.

VeinDoc
    MarmPow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 03:04 PM
    I have varicose veins, (for many years now, I'm only 42) and after my last in office injection, I had complications... part of my treatment? Soaking in a warm bath for 30 minutes every day. Hope this was helpful!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Support hose varicose veins [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a pair of support pantyhose for varicose veins. The instructions for the hose advise not to wear them overnite while sleeping, does anyone know why?

No hot water from tub faucet; all others - very hot [ 2 Answers ]

Every hot water faucet in my house produces scalding hot water. EXCEPT the upstairs tub/shower. From that faucet we only get lukewarm water. Why? What should be replaced? bradsmithmm

Spider webs/varicose veins [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I know someone who have spider webs and varicose veins. Is there a non surgical way of removing it? Thanks!

Bad smell from shower and tub when hot water is running [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I know that others have posted similar questions. The smell is becoming worse and I can swear that my eyes burn and I cough when I am in the bathroom area. When the shower or tub hot water is running, there is a burnt foul smell in the air. I have also smelled a rotten egg smell in the...

Bad bath tub drain [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I tried to change the bathtub drain and the inner portion of the drain is glued into the plastic drain pipe. I tried to pry it off but a 1 cm hole is now created in the plastic drain pipe. A small project has led to complete disaster. Other than the standard home depot answer of "take the...

View more questions Search