Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarkStepp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Gas in the oil
    I think I'm having a major probem - last season my mower stopped working - now, I'm trying to figure out the problem. It's getting fire but when I try to start it with the spark plug in it will not turn over - if I take the plug out then it turns over very easy. I went to change the oil and found that it had gas mixed in with the oil and very runny. So, where the heck do I start - I figure (novice talking) that some gasket has blown and needs to be replaced. I don't mind getting my hands durity... actual they already are as I type...

I have a Wizard I/C OHV 14.5 - AYP
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 28, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Hey Mark, I see you are new to the desk. I'm sure your needle valve and seat are not closing when the float raises up in the carb bowl. Gas continues to dripdrip drip 24/7. If your tank was full it isn't now, all that gas flooded the crank and your pistion has no air space under it so it feels like its locked. Lets fix the carb first and then drain the oil later when we are sure it won't reflood. Remove the carb bowl and try moving the float up and down several times allowing gas to flush the valve seat. After a bit you should get full closure when you raise the float. If not the you'll need to remove the seat and claen or replace, needle too. Once the carb is operating right drain the oil completely, even lean the engine over to get all the contaminate oil out. Have the plug out during the drain and allow toi sit over nighjt, try draining more oil the next day. Refill the oil and the gas tank and you should be all set. Let me know if this helped you. Good luck
    MarkStepp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 11:11 AM
    YOU ARE THE MAN!! -
    I did what you said and also had to replace the sparkplug and everything worked - however. Seems that the problems is continuing - there is a electric needle and it seems to be working but do they go a little bad and cause this problem? The float seemed fine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil/gas Spill In Garage!need Instructions To Clean Up! [ 8 Answers ]

My teenage son recently started mowing lawns, and the gardener who hired him, has asked him to store his lawnmower in the garage of my parents (who were kind to allow this), so that my son would have quick access to it, as the customers are in this area where we live. PROBLEM: My parents are so...

2-cycle oil / gas ratio [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a way to consolidate gas tanks. I have three different machines that of course all use a different ratio. Auger is 24:1, snowblower is 50:1, and weedeater is 40:1. Is there a product out there which would allow me to use 1 or 2 tanks for these... I'd appreciate any input ...

B & S 14.5, Breather Tube Spitting Oil/gas [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 38" Snapper yard cruiser rider with the B&S 14.5 HP engine. It has the ability to be stood on its butt to let you clean the desk and change blades. I did this Saturday to do both. I remembered to close the air vent to the gas tank. I forgot :eek: to close the shut off valve at the gas...

B&S 18.5HP Intek, oil/gas coming from fuel pump [ 5 Answers ]

Gas comes out of the screen on my fuel pump and the engine smokes like it's on FIRE when its under a heavy load. I replaced the fuel pump but this did not help. Someone suggested the crankcase vent might be stopped up, but I can't find a vent anywhere. The engine starts fine and idles without...

Gas and oil mixture [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know the correct mixture of gas and oil for my featherlight weedeater ASAP!

View more questions Search