Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmcmullan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2005, 10:46 AM
    AC Compressor Vibration
    Our new Ashwood Builders home has 2 AC compressors mounted outside on a small concrete slab that is connected to the main foundation. All the other homes in this new neighborhood that I've checked have a small gap between the compressor slab and the foundation. Even though the new compressors are quiet, we get a loud humming or buzzing sound inside the house in the room closest to the compressors. I'm guessing that if there was a gap, the vibration would not be able to resonate into the room. I'm wondering if this was a builder's mistake? I'm wondering if there are any regulations in residential building codes regarding this that I could use to persuade Ashwood to fix it? And if not, I'm wondering if a typical hand-held circular saw fitted with some sort of blade for cutting concrete, would be powerful enough to cut the gap myself?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 12, 2005, 11:27 AM
    I would definitely complain to the builder. Code and the building inspector may not be much help.

You should be able to cut the slab depending how thick it is. You may want to rent a heavy duty saw rather than abuse your own. Just tell the rental place you need a saw to make a concrete cut.
    dmcmullan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2005, 02:57 PM
    Thanks, I will probably request the builder to fix it. But if they refuse, before trying to cut a gap, I might first try lifting the compressors up an inch, and slipping some kind of all-weather heavy-duty rubberized insulation underneath... hoping that will reduce the vibration. But if the compressors are actually bolted to the slab (are they usually?), I will be faced with cutting the gap.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 12, 2005, 04:12 PM
    My compressor sits on a plastic HEF-T-PAD made by Hefco. It came with the Bryant unit. It is not bolted down, and neither was its predecessor. You can move them around a little, the copper tubing has some give. Mine is fairly solid now that I have rigid conduit running to it to replace the flex the dog chewed up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Focus Vibration [ 1 Answers ]

What can cause vibration when engine is running, without vehicle moving. Feels like it's caused by the engine, motor mounts, etc. No noise and doesn't get heavier once you drive. Thank You

Compressor Map [ 2 Answers ]

I am working with refrigeration systems for some research. I am looking at the compressor map and have been told that a correction factor of .75 is fair to assume for conditions outside of the map's designated superheat and intake temp. Does anyone know where I can obtain any articles to support...

Toilet flap vibration [ 2 Answers ]

I have a toilet that uses a disk-like flap instead of a ball. It pivots on a hinge and "hammers" down the flap onto the drain. I bought a brand new flap assembly and now when the toilet is filling after flushing, the flap vibrates and continues until you press it down. No signs of tears on the...

Air Compressor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new air compressor for my hot rod fabrication. The specifications are as follows, 5.5hp 80gal 24amp 240v. My question is, it calls for a 30 amp breaker and time delay fuse, Type "T". I am running 6/2 wire to supply the unit, it is about 90 ft from the main panel so we ran 6/2 for minimal...

View more questions Search