Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnPete Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2003, 08:49 PM
    RAID & Hot Swapping HDDs
    Hello,
    After reading an article about RAID and hot swapping HDDs, I am considering that option and have a question. The article described a Promise system with a RAID controller card (0+1) and hotswap drive housings. If I decide to go this way I would have two of the drive housings in the computer and one external for backups.
    My question is if the internal HDDs became corrupt (not damaged or failed) for some reason, is it just a matter of installing the external (backup) drive or would it too become corrupt by the RAID mirror drive copying the corruption?
    Thank you for any information.
    Dr._Ephemeron Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2003, 07:28 PM
    RAID & Hot Swapping HDDs
    RAID is not meant to be used as a removable backup system. That is, you don't plug in a backup drive and let the data get copied over and then remove it. It is made so that all 4 drives (in the case of 0+1) are in continuous operation at all times so when one fails, it can be removed and replaced.

The only reason you would want ever use the hot swapping caddy is when you would remove the failed drive and replace it with a new one.

So a drive failing would not mess the data up on the other 2 drives, otherwise there would be not much point in 0+1 RAID now would it.  ;)

And if for some reason bad data is written to the hard drives, do to other hardware failures, software failures, viruses, it will write it to all of the drives. So you still need a removable backup system.
    JohnPete Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2003, 05:05 PM
    RAID & Hot Swapping HDDs
    Hello Dr._Ephemeron,

Thanks for the informative reply. As you can see, my knowledge of RAID is limited at best. I think I'll stick with image backups and use an external HDD if I need to take the backup off-site.

Thanks again, your help is appreciated. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Enlarge a partition under RAID [ 9 Answers ]

Hello All Expert, I would like to repartition in my fileserver. It is because that the main partition "C" drive is not enough space to install new program. My fileserver has "C" and "D" drive, "C" install windows 2000 server and "D" keep all data. Moreover the Fileserver running under RAID 1...

Sata Raid [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Looking for a laymans explanation of SATA RAID and why it would be good to have in a Hi end DAW PC. Thanks Stu

Raid/sata150 [ 8 Answers ]

I need advice in regards to setting up RAID HDD configuration. I'm a gamer, only playing half-life, the machines primary use. Currently using a WD Raptor SATA/150 HDD. Will going to a RAID set up improve performance in this environment? Thx in advance. System profile: P4C 3.0 CPU Asus P4800...

View more questions Search