Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skip4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Calculating net income
    Hello,

I am working on a homework problem and need some help... I have a company's balance sheet, which includes retained earnings. My assignment is asking me to calculate net income. I also know the amount of dividents paid out. How can I calculate net income from the information on a balance sheet? I know it has something to do with retained earnings, but I cannot figure it out.

Cynthialee45 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 07:48 PM
    You need your Income Statement accounts to calculate net income. Revenues less expenses equals net income. Are you sure you are not to determine owner's equity?
    pree007 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by skip4
    hello,

I am working on a homework problem and need some help... I have a company's balance sheet, which includes retained earnings. My assignment is asking me to calculate net income. I also know the amount of dividents paid out. How can I calculate net income from the information on a balance sheet? I know it has something to do with retained earnings, but I cannot figure it out.

Informaiton contained in the question is not complete still you can calculate the profit in many ways like :
    Diffrence of the capital at the begning and ending capital.
    Or retainded earnings+dividends paid +other reserves created out of profits (if given)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2007, 06:26 AM
    If you have 100 in Retained Earnings at the beginning of the year and 200 in it at the end of the year, you know that 100 was added during the year.

Dividends would decrease it.

So if Dividends were 50, then Net Income must be 150 to get the additional 100 above.

Now, if there is additional paid in capital, or other changes to retained earnings, that will affect the calculation of net income as well.
    neera123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 12:03 PM
    4. Which one of the following statements concerning the board of directors of a corporation is correct?
    A. It’s appointed by the provincial government which issues the corporation’s charter.
    B. It’s responsible for the daily operations of the corporation.
    C. It’s liable for the debts which the corporation incurs.
    D. It’s charged with the duty of guiding corporate activities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating net cash inflow for a Motor Lodge [ 1 Answers ]

Do I use the total days the lodge needs extra capity, or use the entire time the lodge is open?

Net Income/ Net Loss [ 2 Answers ]

How does an employer calculate his or her payroll tax deduction for net income or net loss?

Calculating net income [ 3 Answers ]

Vision Corporation's financial statements for the current year include the following: Income from continuing operations $744,000 Prior period adjustment (increase in prior year net income, net of taxes 228,000 Cash dividends paid to preferred stockholders 242,400 Gain from...

View more questions Search