Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KaydeeM21 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 27, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Cant lose weight
    I can't say that I have been actively trying to lose weight so I guess I can't complain that the pounds are sticking around. How do you get yourself motivated to exercise and how the heck does anyone have time to eat healthy. It seems to me that a healthy diet is far more work! I have a 3 year old, which is where the weight came from. I work a full time job. I need to lose probably 40 pounds total and I would look great but I don't even know where to begin. I'm CONSTANTLY tired as it is and I'm out of shape so if I did try to work out I would probably fall over. I need to get into a routine and maybe it wouldn't be so hard but where the heck do I start? :confused:
    jimfun71 Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

May 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeM21
    I can't say that I have been actively trying to lose weight so I guess I can't complain that the pounds are sticking around. How do you get yourself motivated to exercise and how the heck does anyone have time to eat healthy. It seems to me that a healthy diet is far more work! I have a 3 year old, which is where the weight came from. I work a full time job. I need to lose probably 40 pounds total and I would look great but I dont even know where to begin. I'm CONSTANTLY tired as it is and I'm out of shape so if I did try to work out I would probably fall over. I need to get into a routine and maybe it wouldn't be so hard but where the heck do I start??:confused:
    I was 276 lbs 3 years ago. I made it down to 225 then I changed jobs (desk job)and went back up to 260. I'm a 6'1" male with a muscular frame, 220 would be my dream weight. I have been riding my bike for 2 months now and i'm back down to 248 and droping. My blood pressure has dropped a lot too.
    Get naked and look in a full length mirror. Ask your self if you really like what you see. If you don't then use that for motivation. You can do a lot of things to help loose weight also.
    Instead of stuffing your face with potato chips use baked chips, drink diet soda or flavored water. Drink light beer, drink skimmed milk, heres a biggie"only eat no fat dressing and dariy." Try keeping veggies and no fat dip in the fridge there just as easy to buy as fat food.
    The no carb thing can work in the short time but is unsustainable in the long term. Quite simply you need carbs to survive. Have you ever seen somebody after they haven't had any carbs for a month. They look like death. You can cut every corner on the food end and that will help but you will still need to exercise.
    Cardio and resistance is necessary to get the full bennifit. Walking doesn't do much good. You should exercise till your breathing is a little laboured and you should be sweating a little. For resistance you can get a cheapo set of dumb bells at the pawn shop or use anything that has some weight. If you do ten reps and it hurts a little is a good weight if you do ten and it hurts a lot then it's too much weight. If you di ten and it don't hurt at all it's not enough weight. PLEASE CONSULT A DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY Exercise REGIMENT!
    Rina _4 Posts: 182, Reputation: 19

May 27, 2007, 06:00 PM
    You can start by being aware at the portions of the meals that you have every day. First drink a lot of water and eat slowly, enjoy the food because it takes 20 minutes until you will feel full. Portion control that would cut off extra calories from your diet and you will automatically start to drop the weight before starting an exercise program, you should do simpler things like taking the stairs instead of the elevators, park far and walk more to where ever you need to go and don't take any unnecessary short cuts.

Once you start losing the weight then you will have more energy to do more like start with an easy exercise and build it up as you go. It's all about changing habits and if you keep determined, focused and committed to losing weight then it will not be impossible for you to reach the weight that you desire.

Best of luck.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2007, 07:16 PM
    You already motivated, otherwise you wouldn't ask for help, so now start with small changes, It takes only a 500 calorie deficit below your BMR to lose 1 pound of body fat per week. You might keep a food journal for a couple of days to see how much your eating and where the changes are needed. Healthy food doesn't really take anymore time then any food available, if you take your lunch, make a whole wheat bread turkey breast or chicken breast sandwich, load on the letuce, tomatoes, avacodos, onions, spouts, load it up, and use a small amount of no fat dressing. Cut out fast foods, fried foods, sugary or salty snacks. Eat wheat breads, cereals, rice and pastas, Take raw veggies and fruits to snack on. Emininate all presweetened drinks and drink lots of ice cold water through the day. Breakfast, is very important, eat some oatmeal with fruit or wheat cereal. Make sure your getting at least 3 servings of dairy, low fat or skim milk, low fat yogurt and skim or partially skim cheese, like string cheese. Small portion of nuts or seeds are a quick snack that will get you over a lot of urges. Smaller portion is the key, a serving of meat is 3 ounces, this includes, skinless chicken, turkey, fish, loin type meats. Read nutritional labels and stick to the one portion for a meal. Smaller portions of healthy, natural foods, will give you results that will last. You also must exercise, 4-5times a week, even if it's just walking, work up to a mile, it's a great relaxer, you need at least 30 minutes a session, of cardio, biking, jogging, walking, swimming, dancing, weight/resistance training. It takes time and dedication but these changes can help you through your life.
    MummaCrash Posts: 136, Reputation: 19

May 28, 2007, 08:40 AM
    I don't like to base my weight loss on diet and diet only.
    I prefer to base it on actual fitness FIRST.

High intensity sports, medium intestity sports and even low intensity sports, they will all
    Help us loose weight and maintain our health. It's your job to find out what suits you best.

Work on your fitness first, increase your water intake, when you have that motivation to stick to sports/exercise start looking at what you're eating.
    If you have a high calorie food intake, right down everything you're normally eating and right down the calories per food, do some shopping and try to find the foods with less calories.
    Pop and sodas just leave us dehydrated so water is the best option.
    Juices are loaded in sugars, not always the right sugars but if you can write out a meal plan, by ahead and stick to that menu you have a higher chance at sticking to it.
    White bread- Worst worst worst! Wholegrain- Best best best! :)
    Eggs- boiled, poached- Healthiest option and good for you, the protein in them will help you loose weight and build musle.

As for exercise. 30 minutes of exercise at the gym is all we really need.
    15-20 minutes of high cardio on an elliptical machine, you could even go for a brisk walk.
    Anything to get your heart rate pumping.
    10 minutes left to do some light weights.
    The lighter the weight the more reps for weight loss and toning.
    The heavier the weight the less reps for toning and extensive body building.

If you're going to do sit ups, do a variety and take breaks just as you would between weights.
    Then don't do it the next night, take a break, if you have sore muscles that's your key, do it again when you feel better.

I'm not a health professional so of course you should see a Doctor to suit your individual needs but I can definitely empathise with you on the whole after kids weight gain issue.

Fitness doesn't have to be boring and annoying nor does it have to rid you of yummy foods.
    ray_chail Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeM21
    I can't say that I have been actively trying to lose weight so I guess I can't complain that the pounds are sticking around. How do you get yourself motivated to exercise and how the heck does anyone have time to eat healthy. It seems to me that a healthy diet is far more work! I have a 3 year old, which is where the weight came from. I work a full time job. I need to lose probably 40 pounds total and I would look great but I dont even know where to begin. I'm CONSTANTLY tired as it is and I'm out of shape so if I did try to work out I would probably fall over. I need to get into a routine and maybe it wouldn't be so hard but where the heck do I start??:confused:
    Well I myself have been going through this same ordeal. I do not necessarily have time to go to the gym everyday but I have started doing other things such as drinking only water NO SODAS! It sounded really hard for me to do at first, but now I feel disgusted when I think of those syrupy drinks. I also eat out a lot and I only order things like griled chicken (sandwiches), fish, turkey, anything but red meat. If you are cooking, substitute meals with ground beef, with ground turkey. I have found that I feel lighter, more energized, and I have lost a few pounds all without hitting the gym everyday, and with you having a 3 yr old, that should be enough of a work out.LOL! GOOD LUCK!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 06:15 PM
    I know this may sound crazy, but if you start walking 2 or 3 miles a day, you won't be as tired! Take your toddler on a good, healthy stroll and you will be amazed how your stamina will increase. I promise if you walk just 3 times a week - in one week you will sleep better and have more energy.

Cardio is what you need to burn enough to lose weight. Dancing with your kiddo in the living room for 30 minutes will be fun and a great workout.

Eating right is the hardest thing for me. I know what I should eat, but what I want is on the no-no list. I have found that I have to keep some goodies in the house or I will binge. I just try to make better choices. Instead of ice cream - get fudgcicles - they are way lower in calories and just as good, IMO. If I eat fast food for lunch, then I eat a small bowl of Special K for dinner. V8 has a new juice that has a serving of veggies in it and isn't so tomatoey - I still have to cut it will diet 7-up, because it is strong.

Just try to make better choices and take small steps. When you start seeing results it will give you the motivation to take the next bigger step.
    1busymaniam Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

May 30, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Hi Kaydee ,
    Workout ! Get addicted / dedicated to exercise for weeks and you will see results before August . Exercise is almost free in some cases . If you will do some type of exercise for 20 minutes at a time for a few days you will see a dramatic increase in your endurance .
    Hope you like the sunshine because it is your friend . Outside just walk , run , jump rope , play basketball or handball or stairs . Do any of these for just one minute and walk in between . Use the curb for steps / pushups if you have to . A city park , apt complex should have a basketball court . Handball can be challenging as you have to find a wall with enough room to play but I always find such a wall .
    Now I don't know what you have to work with but you can find a ball , rope or whatever for less than $20 at garage sales . You can also bicycle with the child if you have the proper infant seat or use the stroller . You only have to run 50-60 feet then run backwards , walk .
    Drink 5-6 liters of water every 24 hours . Not a problem!! Refill the water bottle at work or a machine . Cheaper than buying at the store . In late June you can try the sauna suit for 20 and then 30 minutes 2-3 times a week if you get real ambitious ? There is no rule that says you can't workout twice a day once or twice a week .
    Goodluck... Russell

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to lose weight [ 5 Answers ]

How can you lose 40 pounds in a month? Like how long do you excerise and what kind of food should I quit? I am 5'5" and I am 159 and I want to go down to about 100

Why can't I lose weight [ 2 Answers ]

I am 26, 5'6", 170lbs. I used to have no problem losing weight when I was younger, but over the past 2 years it's been a true struggle. I have spent hundreds (maybe even thousands) on trainers, gym memberships, equipment, doctors, fad diets, etc. I work out at least 3 days a week at the gym (30-45...

Need some help to lose weight.. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I want some tips to lose weight so please give me efftive tips because I tried many of them doing.. I did many execersie and also started gym but no good result please help me...

Weight lose [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'am trying to lose weight and finding that I'am getting bigger,I'am doing everything that I should be doing right.This has been going on for 10 years and I'am not sure why,I have gone to the Doc, all my test come back good,I find that I get bigger at night time.Thank you for your help.

Will I lose more weight [ 4 Answers ]

If I eat only Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and drink lots of water and do 3 30min of exercise will I lose more weight?

View more questions Search