Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coopcuk Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2005, 11:18 AM
    Kuta
    A message specifically for eawoodall but I'd love to hear from anyone else too :)

Please could you tell me about you experiences of the martial art of Kuta?
    I have read in other posts that you have practiced it for years, how did you come across it?

Cheers.
    CoopcUK
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

May 11, 2005, 10:57 PM
    Hikuta / kuta
    When I was extremely young or perhaps before/at birth, a person who I knew decided that I needed to learn martial arts. They were undefeated fighting champion of their branch of military service. They had to retire from that because no one else would fight them! They say they were so fast people would not even see them punch, just wake up afterward, and certainly I also have had people tell me that to me, when they woke up (including more than one professional boxer stupid enough to attack me). So at an early age I was learning, and helping. Before I reached double digits in age I was engaged in combat against several armed attackers on a few occasions, usually no more than ten at once (all but one weighed at least twice my weight, and some had deadly weapons), or 7 at once (atleast 4 had guns, when they started the fight).

I continued to do my best not to use my skills, but alas and alack sometimes people can be too unreasonable. My teacher often said, "the proof is in the fighting". When a person gets accused of threatening someone, that the law calls assault, but when a person who has been registered as a deadly weapon gets accused of threatening someone that is assault with a deadly weapon, so not being registered has advantages.

Over a half dozen years later: I meet Dok Lee through 2 of his students.
    I allowed his students to THINK they were teaching me, Dok Lee THINKING I had only been exposed to hikuta/kuta for a week came to my public school and told them they were not allowed to teach anyone. Then he made the mistake of challenging me (to see what I had learned). After him being in the military, and being the bodyguard to the person who had ruled china. I beat him in personal unarmed combat. He realized he was not as fast or as good at hikuta/kuta as I. Dok Lee said that if I did not accept the title of DOK (Defender Of Kings - the highest rank in hikuta/kuta) then he would bestoy that title upon no one, for no one else deserved it. Dok Lee never bestoyed that rank upon anyone else. Others have said they have a right to do so, and have given such rank to people, but I and I alone have the title DOK from DOK LEE. I waited until after Dok Lee died to use the title Dok out of respect.

I continued to use my skills as they were needed. As a police official noted while standing beside me(for ten minutes), there were 33 assaults against me.
    So I estimate 10k hand to hand experiences from those years. Experience is a good teacher.

I served in the military.

A few years later: I know a man, who tried to commit robbery of me, a half dozen times, but after me disarming him, and warning him each time he tried to rob me, he continued, and when he eventually tried with a bowie knife and a gun (instead of just a bigger knife each time), he stabbed himself in the leg, and lost his leg, and since then has lost his other one to infection, and still he tries to kill me, or send his relatives/friends to do it. I continue to extend mercy, and allow him to live, but he hasn't learned. A word to the wise is sufficient. If he had learned not to try to rob me the first time I disarmed him, and warned him to 'not do that again' he wouldn't be disabled now, or even if he had learned any of the four other times I did so over the next few months (as he brought bigger and bigger knives)! He would still be in the united states army rangers, but he was stupid. He sent his dad with a knife and gun to bother me. It was funny. I tapped his dad between the eyes so his eyes teared up (could't see for a little while), as I disarmed him. Walked him out to beside his car and told him to stay there. He got up after I left and walked into traffic (his dad wasn't hurt bad). First the son lied about me to the police, saying I beat him up without a reason, that I had beaten him up several times (not mentioning the knife in his hand each time or the fact he demanded money each time because he was trying to rob me each time),
    So I had to disarm a few more police, and explain to them what had really happened. Secondly the son actually took his lawyer and went to a judge, and admitted, in writing, he (the son) tried to rob me all those times, asking the judge to punish me for defending myself, the judge said, "do you make these statements of your own free will?" 'yes', he said. "five years", said the judge. The son said "yes!, you are giving him five years in prison!", "no" said the judge, "i am giving you five years in prison, if you want to goto trial you will get 6 counts and have a minimum of 30 years, take it or leave it". So he went to prison for five years.

I have often said, and I mean it, "if you do not respect your elders you'd better respect your betters"! In chinese culture it is not a problem to get respect for elders, because your elders will beat you up, if you don't show respect. In america however many fail to understand that people get better at martial arts as they get older.

I have done some 'work' helping someone (who shall remain nameless).

Other people stupidly thought they would rob me, I usually inform them that they would prefer to live, rather than try that, and most people get the message that they can go on with their lives or they can go to prison.
    Everyone who has been stupid enough to try to rob me, has been convicted of doing so, eventually. I at least once was walking into a bank, just as the robbers came out. They decided they wanted to turn themselves in, because the guns they had were not enough. They asked for 5 years in prison each so they could learn a trade, because I suggested it to them, and the judge gave them what they wanted.

My abilities aren't limited to combat training.

Everyone has different levels of intelligence, experience, personality, hormones, reactions to stress, et cetera.

Certainly some skills can be learned, like combat training, but some abilities cannot. So certainly I hope my short history of my life gives you some background about my training in martial arts. All martial arts have their place. The level of force and amount of damage you require to use should be available with a well rounded martial arts background. You do not want to use more force than you need for any situation. You do not want to use more force than you need for any situation. (Dok Lee sold over 600k video/books in the USA about hikuta/kuta in the early-mid 90s)

The first thing in hikuta is to relax, if you can pull your hand off a hot stove you can do hikuta. The proper tension allows the muscles to hold themselves as the application of speed/acceleration is generated. If the muscles are not at the correct tension then the proper condition cannot occur. Some martial arts are 'hard' style or 'soft' style or mixture "hard/soft". Most hard styles use more tension in the muscles and strength to deliver blows either all during the movement or just at the moment of striking. Most soft styles use momentum and leverage with medium to very little muscle tension. Hikuta uses the natural amount of muscle tension that you experience when you pull your hand off a hot stove. The maximum movement you can generate to get to safety (away from the hot stove). Secondly you do not want to look like a victim, you want people to leave you alone, because they would rather look for an easy mark. I have in the past walked around town wearing two fake casts (one on each arm) to make people think I had two broken arms, so some stupid person would try to rob me, and it has always worked, there is always a dumb enough thief to try to rob someone they think cannot fight back! All crooks are stupid anyway, why else would they be braking the law!
    But that is just me, of course I was wearing a tshirt with batman on it.

May 12, 2005, 06:27 AM
    Impressive!
    Very impressive!

I am interested in developing the skills that you have clearly mastered, how would you suggest I go about this? Do you teach these skills at all?

To help you answer here is a little of my background...
    I (obviously) have an interest in the martial arts and have trained in Aikido and JiuJitsu for a few years. As many martial artists before me I started to question the effectiveness of the training that I was receiving... and found that although the basis of these Eastern arts was sound, there were gaps in my knowledge (or perhaps my instructors). I wanted something to complete the picture.

I began looking for something that was more applicable to the altercations I had experienced over the years. It was during this search (which has lasted several years) that I came across Mr Savage on the internet and hence Hikuta.

I started training and have certainly become faster at applying the kuta strike, it seems to be a very simple but effective art, exactly what I am looking for. So, I decided to investigate the art further, which is when I came across yourself.

May 12, 2005, 10:34 AM
    Here are several web sites that may offer further info and products.
    The first web site is some of the products Dok Lee made.
    The second is by a student of Dok Lee.
    The third is by a student of the student (of Dok Lee) just mentioned, (whose material you have studied).
    I do not know the origin of the person responsible for the fourth web site.

http://www.childrens-safety.com/aboutdok1.htm

http://www.cutting-edge-combat.com/s...nstructor.html

http://www.hikuta.net/hikuta/hikuta_history.cfm

http://www.crossover-kuta.com/founder.html

I have on occasion taken a student or two, but no one you would know.

The first web sites videos are nice (I think late 90s), I have not gotten any of the videos/material from the other webs sites to review.
    Sometimes a video or video and book (early 90s) by Dok Lee will auction on eBay or other auction sites. Just this month the book/video combo went for about 60, and the video by itself about 25.

I will try to continue to provide you with info, as you ask more, continue to show interest. E a woodall

May 12, 2005, 11:27 AM
    Just missed out!
    I just missed out on the DOK Lee Book/Video combo on eBay and the seller of the video wouldn't ship outside the US, so no luck there!

So, are there any exercises you practice (or have practiced in the past) to increase the speed of the Kuta Hand strikes?

May 12, 2005, 04:24 PM
    yes more kuta
    yes, certainly.

grabbing the air is a common one. Some people prefer a wall or table, phone book, etc. to start, and then become more comfortable with just air (to grab).
    when you do a hikuta palm ,from the hands above head position, grabbing the air is the start of the technique. Of course you can use grabbing the air even when your hands are in your pockets. As a person who sometimes wears a badge and gun at work, I do have occasions to out draw people. I remember one guy, he went for his gun, and I heard the crack of his holster, and I pointed my gun at him, before he could finish clearing leather, both my hands had been in my slacks pockets at the time. His comment was, "i didn't even see you draw". I said, "why would you"? The faster you move, the faster you ,also over time, learn to see, just to deal with your own speed. I don't know if grabbing the air is included in the training material that you have.

sometimes when you practice slow, then practice at fast speed, it can help program you to have a faster response, because you are training the muscles to follow the same type of movement, and at different speeds you use different amounts of large versus small muscle definition to smoothly complete a technique. And also program some muscle memory.
    gross motor versus fine motor skills.

when moving in hikuta you must remember to use you momentum.
    hitting with only the weight of your hand, will not do as much as hitting with your entire body weight behind your hand. In kendo they jump off the ground at the moment of striking to ensure they have their entire body weight into each hit. I have studied other martial arts as well as hikuta.

if bob has v=1 and mass 2 that he uses when hitting.
    bob hits with energy amount 1 (F=ma. E=m*(c^2)=(m*(v^2))/2. p=mv.)

if roy has v=1 and mass 4
    then roy hits with energy amount 2
    twice as much mass in strike, twice the energy.

if mike has v=2 and mass 2
    then mike hits with energy amount 4.
    twice as much velocity, four times the energy.

if chuck has v=2 and mass 4
    them chuck hits with energy amount 8.
    twice as fast and twice as much mass equals eight times energy.

if john has v=3 and mass 2
    then john hits with energy 9.
    three times as fast equals nine times the energy.

so both mass and velocity (speed in a direction) are of great concern when the amount of energy matters. Consider the amount of mass of the hand, to how much mass the entire body has. And consider that a very fast small man can deliver more energy than a medium sized fast man.
    The unknown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2005, 04:50 PM
    Reply to eawoodall
    Thanks for posting the story about Dok Lee visiting your school and the fight he had with you.

I'm curious, back when you met Dok Lee, what did you tell him your name was?

Thanks.

May 12, 2005, 08:47 PM
    I believe I told him my real name. (then again? Did I? Good question. Maybe since I was young and didn't know why he was asking I lied at first about my name, but I am sure he eventually should have learned it, since the 'men in black' seemed to know Dok Lee)

And shortly thereafter some armed men in black suits appeared at the door to my house in an unmarked car, and I had to prove I knew hikuta to them to convince them to let me do what I wanted, instead of what they wanted.
    Sometimes certain groups of people think they have a right to tell you what to do with you life / abilities, but it is much better when you can explain to them after taking away guns, it is they who must obey you. When you are in control, whether others know it or not, they do submit to your will. Although I had to tangle with them again before they feared me.

Since I was never officially a student of Dok Lee, and never received paperwork that was posted (publicly) with the government, I am not legally registered as a deadly weapon, but that does not mean through my 'work' for various governmental bodies, companies,etc or my 'work' against various nasty organizations hasn't caused many to know me on sight, since many have mistakenly thought I could be eliminated or recruited. My life is my own,and many know not to mess with what works. I do favors for people who need help, and I can be 'helpful' sometimes. I prefer privacy, but often privacy is a false image in today's modern lifestyle.

I try to not use aliases but sometimes people make up their own aliases for someone they cannot readily identify, and I am well known in some areas of influence. I also have privacy agreements that prevent much of my work from being revealed, because life is not always about what you think happened or who you were told did something. Working behind the screens is much easier that being in the spotlight. Choosing the music they dance to, is less hassle than dancing to the tune. Telling the story is the interesting part, not the fame of the crowd.

The rumors I have heard is that Dok Lee had four publicly acknowledged students who reached the highest rank he was willing to teach. The second web site was one of those four students (and that student also assisted Dok Lee in teaching some, per that web site, but he only started hikuta in the early 90s after getting the Dok Lee video and book).

The fight with Dok Lee wasn't all interesting or anything, a typical fight for me, I started by 1.pretending to fight (posed my hands in clenched fists, moved my arms about 6 inches forward and stopped moving them as soon as he started to respond to my "attack") so I could judge the ability of my enemy, and I could tell Dok Lee was holding back, 2.so I told him to go all out, then he went very very fast, and I could see he wasn't kidding anymore, he was somewhere near the speed of my original teacher. 3. I told him the kid gloves are off, and I had been holding back to see his abilities, and he should do everything to defend himself. He attacked, before he could decock his arm I had him with three hits. Describing it again, I waited for him to try to hit me, and smoked him with three before he could get one off. That was when he smiled.. . my privacy was protected, and so few knew I ever even meet Dok Lee, much less became the only person he ever made a D.O.K. (defender of kings). About a week before on the tonight show with j. carson was a person in a wheelchair, who broke a brick, and told carson it was hikuta, that even people in wheelchairs can do it. mr. carson asked is there a lowkuta? Hikuta is highlights of kuta, not all of kuta.
    The unknown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2005, 10:17 PM
    Your meeting with Dok Lee
    I was given the following information from someone who knew Dok Lee.

Dok Lee, when asked, (a couple of years before he passed on) had no idea who Earnest Abraham Woodall was.

May 13, 2005, 07:38 AM
    I take it you had pulled the 3 strikes... if he smiled after you landed them?

By the way thanks for the grabbing the air training tip. I find that after using a startle reflex and throwing my whole weight into a strike, it can be difficult to quickly compose myself for a follow up strike, is this just a case of practice makes perfect or is there a training exercise that will help with this?

May 13, 2005, 10:52 AM
    No I didn't pull the punches (neither did he), after he bounced off the lockers, he smiled.

Training exercise helps a lot to compose yourself as you follow up. The changing strong side/weak side facing opponent in kenpo karate, or the stepping forward while moving in cat stance 60/40 in TKD.

Well it was around 25 years after the incident where I beat him that Dok Lee was asked if he knew me, and Dok Lee was going to keep my identity secret per the privacy act. And since my death has been rumored so many times Dok Lee probably thought I was dead.
    Or perhaps he forgot my name. Or perhaps I did make the mistake of telling him an alias. Oh well. Whatever. Of course not anyone wants to admit being beaten up, much less beaten easily, especially someone they think is new to a martial art. Plus I didn't train with Dok Lee I trained with someone else who learned hikuta years before he did. I only saw Dok Lee that once for a few minutes

May 13, 2005, 12:11 PM
    I'll look into these exercises, thanks.

There is a lot of mystery surrounding the history of Kuta:
    Ancient Egyptian royal bodyguards, Masonic orders, Knights of the Templar and secret British commandos (being British that last one is my personal favourite ;) ).

Did your teacher have his/her own ideas about it, or have you perhaps discovered anything about its history over the years?

May 13, 2005, 03:57 PM
    More more
    I don't see any mystery in it.
    History is just what happened.

Sometimes life is stranger than fiction.
    Although I have never heard anything about the templar knights or masonic order having anything to do with kuta. It was passed from egyptian bodyguards to royal asian emporer bodyguards, and kept secret for over a thousand years. Between the various wars in asia eventually became not as much a secret. Because the shela ("sie-la" a region of korea) warriors used it in a battle (similar to the alamo in number of enemy killed per man died). And books were written by duk lee detailing the korean (not, it was in egypt first) royal bodyguard art, among other martial arts known to koreans. He wrote this five volume set in the chinese language, circa 1600? Not sure.
    So the chinese learned, and the japanese fought with china a few times, so eventually you get watered down, some techniques from kuta in different styles. Even england and other nations eventually attained china, and learned the techniques.

I don't want to go in a diatribe. (use dictionary.com if you need it)

May 14, 2005, 01:32 PM
    LOL I see...
    This might give you a laugh then: http://p098.ezboard.com/fhikutacomba...icID=165.topic

Back on the topic of training:
    None of the Hikuta training information I have seen (so far) uses any plyometric or resistance training for increasing striking speed/power... if you were teaching someone Hikuta would you suggest they included some weighted or plyometric exercises into their training?

May 14, 2005, 08:18 PM
    More again
    Once again:
    I have never heard anything about the templar knights or masonic order having anything to do with kuta.
    It was passed from egyptian bodyguards to korean royal asian bodyguards.
    Kept secret for over a thousand years.
    Duk lee wrote about it in chinese in five book set, between 1550-1665?
    So the chinese learned, and the japanese learned, eventually you get watered down, some techniques from kuta in different styles. Even england and other nations conquered china (1800-1850?), and learned the techniques.
    Kuk sool won(korean martial arts), chin na or cam na(chinese martial art),etc.

Actually the web site that you have trained under uses weights/etc.
    Perhaps it is in another product you have not yet purchased.

I start students without weights. The use of weights to teach momentum, and how inportant momentum is to speed is useful. As well as gaining muscle.

If you know the double kick from TKD (kick with one foot to the front as you become airborne {flying forward}, then kick with the back foot {shifting you weight} to the front {as you continue through the air}, the former back foot becomes the front foot). Be careful when training with weights do not overdo!
    You do a few (five or so) double kicks, then you add a five pound weight to both ankles {you can take a nap at this point if you want} then do five more, then move both weights to the first kicking leg ankle {you can take a nap at this point if you want}. Then do five more, you will see how important momentum is to kicking, if not remove the weights and kick, notice the first leg is slower but builds the speed greatly of the second leg after the heavy weight being only on the first ankle, and also doing 'crane stretches wings' (1 of the 18 classic kung fu exercises) can also help teach moving with momentum (in 'crane stretches wings' you do not move a distance from where you start, in double kick or advancing or retreating in cat stance or kempo you do move, gaining or losing ground, i.e. getting closer or farther away from target).
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

May 15, 2005, 05:06 PM
    I'm Confused
    Mr. Woodall,

I am somewhat confused by your story. Did you ever receive training from DOK Lee? Was Kuta DOK Lee's only art? When you fought DOK Lee, where was it, what was the date, and what was he wearing? What technique did DOK Lee use to counter your fake attack?

Also, I am confused regarding your art. What art did you use to defeat DOK Lee? Whether it was Kuta or some other art, who taught you and where?

Oldcoach

May 15, 2005, 05:48 PM
    Kuta
    No hikuta was not Dok Lee's only art. Golden gloves at boxing I am told, plus other arts are certainly possible, but I only meet Dok Lee for a few minutes.
    I did not train under Dok Lee. Dok Lee just recognized that I knew my kuta.
    Mid 70s. The public school I attended. Dok Lee used boxing to hit me the first series of blows. I used kuta to defeat Dok Lee. My teacher taught me from near birth onward.

May 16, 2005, 01:29 AM
    Your teacher
    Is your teacher still teaching, or has he passed away?

May 16, 2005, 09:17 AM
    Kuta
    My teacher's teacher has passed away. Come to think I did train for a short time on a few occasions with my teacher's teacher. My teacher seldom trained anyone. So my teacher's status is unimportant.
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

May 17, 2005, 06:57 PM
    Be completely open
    You have said that your nameless teacher learned Kuta before Dok Lee. You have said that your nameless teacher's teacher has passed away. You have said that your nameless teacher's rank/credentials are unimportant since he no longer teaches. You have said that you began training soon after birth. None of what you have said has any verifiable detail.

Let me come straight to the point. I believe you are being very cryptic because you either have something to hide or need to feel somehow superior. Any true martial artist would willingly provide an instructor lineage with names, locations, and dates when asked, if there was one. This is the one sure way to check authenticity. I have no doubt that you are a martial artist that has read much on several arts (both non-fiction and fiction), but what have you really experienced? That is the question.

I am simply looking out for the many folks on askme. If you are truly what you say, I welcome you. If you are not, just tell it like it is. You obviously have much to offer. It is un-necessary to hide anything here.

I have enough connections in the martial arts world to check credentials. Just email them to me if you want them kept "secret". I'll authenticate them and simply report back to the askme forum--passed or failed.

Let me help you raise the misty curtain of mystery that you have created and start anew in open honesty.

Sincerely,
    Oldcoach

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search