Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pupaes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Death and credit card death.
    My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to pay the overdue minimum payment of $20.00.sears has a collection agency claiming to be a law firm that called(did not answer) and sent a somewhat threatening letter(have not answered) asking who the personal representitive or attorney hired as such was.I had previously talked to an attorney but did not think his help was needed. There is no probate,no assets to speak of,no personel representitive.what assets my father had(house and car had been in a trust)were passed on to me at my father's death.there were a few savings bonds with his name and my mother's(deceased in 2000)which he never removed but simply cashed after the 1 year waiting period.these I sent to the bureau of debt with my father's and mother's death certificates.they may be returned to me in cash at some point months from now. At least I assume that to be the case.there is about $700 in back retirement pay which will be sent to me at some point.he was retired military and civil service.this a very slow process.the only information these a collection agency would have fromme is my father' address and my home phone.should I communicate with the collection agencies in any way? None of these credit debt(about $6500) are mine. What happens if I ignore them.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 10:04 AM
    There have been other posts concerning death and credit card debt. Here are the links to those threads. As far as I know, unless your name is also on that debt, you are not responsible for them.

Please follow this thread on estate and family. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-l...ghlight=estate

Also read through this thread on estate and debts after death: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-l...ghlight=estate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death well [ 5 Answers ]

In circus bikers move on bikes in a death well horizontally as well as verically but do not fall. Kindly explain the reason and tell what are the forces acting on them .

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Credit Card Debit & Death [ 1 Answers ]

My father passed away on March 26, 2007. He lived In The Philippines. All his mail & CC info was being sent to my house in Illinois. On the morning of his death, I,his son purchased a plane ticket to the Philippines using his credit card that was sent to my house. The CC company does/did not know...

Death [ 3 Answers ]

Y do I feel like my life will come to an end soon? This is a constant thought I have threw out everyday since I was 18 and now I'm 27. I feel like I'm cheating death because I avoid a lot of things. The more I do nothing the least chance I have of death by accident. I would love to pass over I'm...

Cause of death [ 4 Answers ]

A friend's death was classified as cocaine poisoning (i.e. overdose), due to 3.0 mg/L of benzoylecgonine in her blood, collected from the aorta post-mortem. The autopsy report said she had received a blow to the abdomen prior to death, causing a ruptured spleen and the loss of an estimated 500 cc...

View more questions Search