Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CreativeNotHandy Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Lawn Tractor Battery Keeps Dying
    I have a Scott's lawn tractor. The batter is a year old. I replaced it because of this recurring problem.
    I have to charge it about every time I use the tractor. Once the battery is charged the tractor starts fine. There is water in the battery.
    Is there something like an alternator in a tractor that keeps the battery charged?
    Would love some help.
    Thanks!
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Small tractors do not have alternators, maybe the new battery that you purchased is bad. Is this battery covered by any type of warranty? If so I would exchange it just to make sure.

May 27, 2007, 10:14 AM
    How does the battery keep charged?
    I've had the same problem with 3 batteries, so I am sure that the tractor is somehow draining the battery.
    Any help?Thanks.
    hapeone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 08:09 AM
    I have the same problem! Did you rver find the answer?

Jun 5, 2007, 09:38 AM
    No, I never got an answer. Can one of you tractor genius experts help? Thanks so much.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is a rectifier and a diode.It is charged by a stator behide the flywheel
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Jun 6, 2007, 12:37 AM
    Correct, in effect it is an alternator. Riding lawn mowers are notorious for poor batterys. The run time to replenish the juice used to start it is about two hours. Constant stops and starts are hard on them. Buy a marine maintainer and solve the battery issues

Don
    EEEJay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Raise the seat when you store the tractor.The seat will shorten the life of the battery!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recharging lawn tractor battery [ 3 Answers ]

My John Deere battery for my lawn tractor -- LT 133 -- is (almost) dead. Can I jump start it by using battery cables hooked up to my Ford van, or is the van battery too powerful for the Deere? I don't want to fry either or both.

Recharge lawn mower battery [ 1 Answers ]

I have a troy built riding lawn mower & tried to recharge the battery it almost started after being on the charger for 4 hrs. do I need to have the eignition key in the off position at the left or in the streight up and down position or all the way to the right to start? Or does this matter at all.

Lawn tractor [ 2 Answers ]

I Have A Sears Tractor With A 12HP Briggs Motor the Discharge Light is on Battery is Full Charged and when it is running I have 13.6 volts into the battery if it sits it will not start

View more questions Search