Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulastenlund Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2005, 03:55 AM
    Serial killers making money off their crimes
    I'm doing a study on serial killers, and I'm wondering if there are any federal laws preventing serial killers from making profit off their crimes.

I would also like to know how many of all murders in the US are "separate" incindents, and how many of all murders in the US are to be considered as work of all a serial killer (linked together that is). If anyone knows about the statistics regarding this, please let me know. Thank you very much

//Paula
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

May 16, 2005, 08:11 PM
    This is thetachi464's wife:
    Felons are not allowed to capitalize on their crimes. The majority of criminals who have stories told are told by survivors, victims families or the murderers family. Except in the case of Aileen Wuornos.. the first documentary on her was called " The Selling of a Serial Killer" because she sold all rights to her story before she was convicted. The majority of my knowledge of serial homicide is based on Wuornos and other female serial killers as they are my thesis topic but I do know a lot a information about other serial murders.
    I am not sure what you are asking in your second question. Are you wanting to know percentage of homicides verus percentages of serial homicide? Serial homicide is a negligible percent of all known homicide. It is just draumatized by the media. The serial homicide scare in the 80's was completely unfounded. Most murder in the United States is peer on peer murder or crimes of passion. If you have more specific question I will try to answer... I am finishing a masters in Criminal Justice... with an emphasis in serial homicide.
    minpop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 06:37 PM
    Found this on TruTV:
    "An avalanche of book and movie offers poured in to detectives, relatives, Moore and even Wuornos herself. Wuornos seemed to think she would make millions from her story, not yet realizing that Florida had a law against criminals profiting in such a manner. She was all over the local and national media. She felt famous, and she continued to talk about the crimes with anyone who would listen, including Volusia County Jail employees. With each retelling she refined her story, casting herself in a better light each time."
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Sep 2, 2009, 06:42 PM
    Former Saskatchewan cabinet minister Colin Thatcher was convicted in 1984 of murdering his ex-wife. He always maintained his innocence and was paroled in 2007 after serving 22 years in prison. He has now written a book where he says he was framed. The province is considering a law to prevent him from profiting from sales of the book.
    minpop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 06:52 PM
    What province?
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Sep 3, 2009, 05:10 AM
    Saskatchewan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fast money making! [ 47 Answers ]

Hello people in here wondering how to make really fast money in runescape. Please give me some advice

Making Money Using The Net [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for ways to make money using the internet. I can navigate on a level of 8 on a 1 to 10 scale. I can find people on the net. I can research and find most information on the net. Therefore, please give me advice on which businesses are legitimate and don't cost much to start. My...

I was caught making fake money [ 3 Answers ]

I recently was busted for making fake 20's, I passed 8 fake 20 dollar bills. The police found another 15 or so in my trash. I understand that I committed a federal offense, what would be a ballpark of my punishment? I'm a single mom with 2 boys who's father recently committed suicide?

Making Money [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! My question is: Where can I find a job on the internet? Ive heard from many people that you can work from home and earn a decent income working online. But I can't seem to find any of these kinds of sites... Ive been looking for them for the past 3 years, and after numerous searches all I've...

View more questions Search