Ask
    Rustylovesmath Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 05:44 AM
    The discipline of sociology was given its name by the French theorist
    Does anyone know this?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Yes, I do know that one. Auguste Comte in 1838. See the following from Wikpedia:

"The word sociology was coined by French thinker Auguste Comte in 1838 from the Latin: socius, "companion"; and the suffix -ology, "the study of"). Comte hoped to unify all studies of humankind - including history, psychology and economics. His own sociological scheme was typical of the 19th century; he believed all human life had passed through the same distinct historical stages (theology, metaphysics, positive science) and that, if one could grasp this progress, one could prescribe the remedies for social ills. Sociology was to be the 'queen of positive sciences.'"

To read the entire article from Wikpedia see the following:
    Sociology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discipline [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old daughter who we are having a hard time with. She is a talker. Not just any kind of talker, but the kind that NEVER stops. It interferes in everything she does. Other kids are turned off by her because she never stops. She has something to say ALL of the time and about...

Appropriate discipline for out of control 18 year old [ 11 Answers ]

My son is 18, has Aspergers/a developmental delay disorder. Simply put he is chronologically 18, not emotionally. Do to my question, I felt it appropriate to give this information. He is in college, only child left in home with a mom and dad, our home has only a few rules: 1) No drug usage, 2)...

Education discipline appeal [ 4 Answers ]

A student in our school anonymously gave the principal a photocopy of a yearbook page in which a student athlete admitted to heavy drinking on more than one occasion. The student was suspended from team games for a few games as per the school's co-curricular code (drinking is strictly forbidden). ...

Can French citizen applying for US citizenship keep French nationality too? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a French citizen with a green card since 1997, that I obtained through marriage. I have been living in the US since then and I would like to apply to a US citizenship but keep my French citizenship as well. Is this possible? Also, I am now separated from my husband. Can I...

View more questions Search