Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wiggitywackiraq Posts: 39, Reputation: -2

May 27, 2007, 04:18 AM
    Pro or anti soldier?
    Here's the thing... im a sergeant in the army, and I've been hearing about this rosie o'donell thing, and I ask this: are people in america behind the average soldier, (the normal doesn't torture people, etc) or are they against the soldier because they are against the war (the vietnam mentality)? The reason I ask is because rosie said all this stuff, calling us terrorists and all, there has been a lot of conversation regarding whether people feel that way. Two of my battle buddies were spit on in the dallas airport when they went on leave from the deployment, simply for being in uniform and that guy apparently not agreeing with the war... I am eager to hear your thoughts. :confused:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 04:42 AM
    People are against the war not the soldiers. The terrorist referred to by Rosie is America not the soldier. I hope that clears things up for you.

Your mind is made up and you'll most likely attack anyone with a dissenting view so I'm out of this.
    wiggitywackiraq Posts: 39, Reputation: -2

May 27, 2007, 04:50 AM
    My mind isn't made up that's why there is a question... I want to know others views on the subject, not here that America (a country) is a terrorist... that makes no sense. Have a thought and explain it... you gave me two sentences. Define how you feel about this question. Do you support the soldier? Do you not? Do you agree with rosie? Do you not? To what degree? I thought a sight like this would provide me with answers from people with a little more insight, not a flaccid line about a loose fact... I now would like answers only from people who are deep thinkers, even smart a**es, but don't belittle my inquiry with a 3rd graders answer. Have some insight and even cite something.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2007, 05:02 AM
    Wigg - Let me assure you, with 100% certainty - That we, America, Americans, love, support and our so very proud of our soldiers.

All of you are our hearts. We want you home and we want you home safe.

Do not, I repeat do not, and please pass these on to your buddies who were spit on, DO NOT, let the ugly fool who did that, paint a view for you and all of our fine soldiers, as to how we at home feel.

Rosie I think loves our troops. I am not even sure how she worded her first comment which triggered all of this controversery and frankly I don't even care. She does not speak for all of America, but I do feel she loves each and everyone of you. I even think she puts on shows for all of you. I think her angst is with our President. Not sure.

But to answer your question... YES, we love you... Yes we are proud of you... more than any of you will ever know. There are many threads on here showing love and support for our troops.

God bless, stay safe and you just keep in mind, we here at home, pray for you and your families and thank you and your families for the continual sacrifice that you are making every minute of the day.

God bless you and America now and always.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Rosie does not speak for me, she does not speak for many, but she is loud and a mouthpiece who is not afraid to say anything that pops into her head. Which is her right. My right is that I do not have to agree with her.

I think our (America's) history with how the armed forces were treated during the Vietnam War taught us (citizens) a valuable lesson in knowing the difference between supporting our troops while being in disagreement with the war. I would hope that people learned and that our armed forces are not treated with the shameful disrespect as the returning soldiers during the Vietnam War were treated. Sadly, there are people out there that still do not have the capacity to discern the soldier from the war.

That being said, I do feel the majority of Americans support our troops. We know theirs is a tremendous responsibility, facing circumstances on a daily basis that we see, while we sit safely at home. Easy to be an armchair general.

So please tell your buddies that they are held in daily prayer for their safe return home, for their families, and for the duties they are commanded to perform. God bless you and all in your unit.
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

May 27, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Personally, I am against the war. If people want to join the war, then I'm against them as well. Sure, if I see that a 18 year old girl or boy was killed I stop and think how pointless that young death was. How sad it is. But I also think that it's there own fault in a way. For putting thereselves into that situation. In war there is no way to know if you will come out alive. I don't mourn for anyone, I think that its sad though. If I was asked to serve I'd say no. Why? Because its not my problem. I'm not going to kill inocent people. I don't believe in war. War is pitiful. Just because some nut job thinks we are a strong nation (which in reality were not) and thinks going to war and getting into Israles business is OK doesn't mean it is. If people wouldn't stand up to the governemt who will? There is something wrong with this country. Why join a war that you know is wrong? Why fight for nothing. Whatever. That kid in the war doesn't have the chance to get married and change the world. If they want to send people over send older people who had more of a life. When it comes down to it, I think this whole war is completely retarded. In my opinion, if Bush continues to do this he could end up in trouble with crazy's. We know how scary those people can be. I don't like Bush because I think his whole ''I <3 Jesus'' thing is completely fake. But I don't think he's the man for presisdent. I blame him for putting thoughts of war into young teens. I disagree with the war, soldiers fighting in this pointless, godless, nameless, and never-ending war. I wish the best for any of you, but I don't have to say I ''told you so''. I like Rosie she's got some things right. At the same time not everything she says is what I think. She's has the right to say what she thinks though it's a free country and freedoom of speech. I'm American, what happened to our foundations? God fearing, honorable and loving people and nation? It died with Lincoln.

If you want to hear a song that will make you cry your eyes out and shake your head with pain listen to this song
    YouTube - P!nk - Dear Mr. President Offical Video
    Good luck to any of you soldiers, I don't know you but I know your honestly thinking your changing the world. Realize maybe your not maybe your all just pawns in a childish game.

Ohh and on this matter I speak my veiws, my fiance's, my family's and anyone else who agree's. So don't think I'm speaking for all America. Thank you.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 27, 2007, 07:25 AM
    WWiraq:

I only speak for myself,

Rosie O'donnel has the right to express herself. That being said I think she is an ignorant, hateful idiot, and so is anyone who would spit on another person just because they were in uniform. These people do not have the balls to go beyond themselved and put it all on the line [ life limb family ] to serve our country.

I want the US to militarily and politically kick some a.. get the job done and come home.
    That or lets just stop wasting time being targets and bring everyone back home NOW.
    The management of this war has been horrendus.

I think you can be against the war and support our troops. No, not one of those magnets you put on your car. I mean support their families, visit or volunteer at a veterans hospital, pray for them.

God Bless

Grace and Peace
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Rayne my sweet - You say you don't support it - but surely you support our brave men and women, the very ones that continue to keep your right to speak alive and well :). Surely you do.

And I will continue to shout it to the roof tops, my love, loyatly and pride of our brave men and woman.

May God continue to watch over them.

May 27, 2007, 07:32 AM
    No I don't. I'm offended that you try to make me conform to your way of thinking. I think if a person wants to join a war with no point then let them. But they probably aren't coming home. I don't support the war, so I also don't support the people in the war. If anything I may feel sorry for them. If they'd not go, then maybe the war would end. But people keep being suckered into going. If they die, they die doing nothing but fighting in a pointless war. Die doing something better. Like fighting this stupid government. Change the world in our own country. USA needs people here, to make changes, not continents away. And I can go as far as to say that its those people going to war that keep this war alive.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 27, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Raynefreak:

#1 Their death is not pointless.
    #2 I don't think you understand the courage it takes to serve and possibly die for your country.
    #3 President Bush was elected twice, he may not be the best, but the voters thought he was better than Gore or Kerry.
    #4 I think young teens can think for themselves

Thank You for your opinion

Grace and Peace
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Rayne - I am so very sorry - no way was I trying to get you to conform, as if I could girl, now smile!

You have to keep in mind, our very brave men and women, as well as their families, yes, some are in Iraq, but they are all over the world and are stationed here as well. Keeping us safe. They are torn from their families that make endless sacrifices, not those just in Iraq, but in the entire armed forces.

And I will not even get into the fact that these fine soldiers are answering a call placed on them a duty placed on them.

I am saddened that you think and feel the way you do, but no, I would never try and force anyone to see things my way.

Relax Rayne - okay?

May 27, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Try listening to the song I added. Let me know what you think about that. I do understand the courage in the people who go to war. But that doesn't make it right. It's those who make this all continue. If you have no fighters the war would end. Listen to reason. Bush was elected, but those who voted for him should think about that mistake in my opinion. I never said teens couldn't think, but most of them just want to prove themselves or just jump into it. I doubt they all understand that this war is completely pointless and endless. Fight in your own country. We need help here, in our front. I'm 21, I'm an adult and I pity no one. I'm not going to support anyone helping this governemnt ruin lives. I am opinionated, I am a voice that many may see as threatening. Merely because I strike a chord. Ever watch V for Vendetta? That's what this country the USA will be like someday. Guess who will be V? Me, I hope or someone who doesn't listen to the counrty's BS. I'd love to knock down and shape up this country. But I'm small and it takes many to make a change. Too bad no one cares or is man enough. In my opinon your all conformists. Make your land a product of you, don't be a product of it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Hello wig:

I don't know what's so hard. I love the troops. I hate their mission. Some people can't tell the difference. I can.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 07:54 AM
    People can rant all they want about our troops but why aren't they directing their anger to the ones who voted for the Iraq War? Democrats and Republicans alike voted FOR this war. Petition your congressmen and your senators. Better yet - petition for those congressmen and senators to take the places of our troops. GWB can lead them all in the battle.

You would soon see results. To verbally assault our armed forces personnel does not get anyone anywhere. But it is your right. A right our troops defend.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    #1 Their death is not pointless.
    Correct, Haliburton stock has risen nicely.

May 27, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Well I'd never spit on someone. That's rude. However, I don't agree with the war and aid-ing it. Whenever something bad happens I say ''told you so''. But I feel sorry for the lives that must end in this completely insane war. I will say openly that I dislike Bush. He's a retard, have you seen his speech's? Man makes me laugh my ars off. I think that they should put him in the front lines. He wants to push this war on further. I said in my first post here my ideas on Bush. Anyway, keep in mind Bush doesn't make all the choices. There are other people in charge. He only signs forms, if they disagree they vito or w/e. Bush isn't the only one to blame. But thank god they got all those people out of office. At least now its more diverse. If my memory serves me right they got rid of a lot of Republican? I don't stay on top of news, but I know the basics.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2007, 08:06 AM
    There is a very large group of Americans that hate the war and blame the soldiers for it. They see all soldiers as killers and murderers. I don't believe it but there are many who do.

I was in the military at the end of the vietnam war and in ROTC in college at the last few years, and I can remember getting spit on just because I dared to wear the uniform. ** I was in the air force ROTC and had never even picked up a gun but I was still a killer and baby murderer.

And my son who did one tour in desert strom and was in the invasion of Bagdad and did another tour there last year was even physcially attacked in some night clubs back in the states by those who did not want a baby killer and women raper in the club.

And you can see that there are many people like Raynefreak who have been brained wash by those who do not want the nation to be strong,
    Oh if a war can last 2 months and no one is hurt or killed. OK, but they beelive that things can be "talked" out and have no idea of the way of life and mind set of the enemies that the US has around the world.

Their way of thinkingis of course what allowed Hilter to talk over all of Europe before the US did anything back then, But we were able to win then because the US allowed soldiers to actually kill the enemy and fight a war. Not have their hands tied by rules of war that does not allow us to kill their leaders when we can, and treats killing each enemy like a murder investigation in the news.

So I would say you have a large group in the US that will hate each soldier just for being in the service. Not nearly all of them of course since if it was a majority the elected political people would stop the war tomorrow, So currently you merely have political people talking against the war and still funding it, trying to keep eveyone happy.

I will give you an example we live in a two of 5000 people, and the American Legion had a cook out and music show ( OK it was more the 60's county western music) but to remember all of those who were in and are in service. Maybe a few hundred showed up.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Bye the way, to Wig and all who have served yesterday, today and will serve tomorrow,

Happy Memorial Day and thank you!

Ultra Member

May 27, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Fr. Chuck I have to tell you - I have not run across one American who blames the troops, well that was before today.

I hope to the heavens they never utter their nonsense while crossing my path. Spit flies both ways. (okay I never would, but how great a statement is that :).

How dare they call our troops murders!

I think some people just like to be heard.

May 27, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    and you can see that there are many poeple like Raynefreak who have been brained wash by those who do not want the nation to be strong.

Our country isn't strong. It's weak and growing weaker because no one will stand up for themselves or stand up to the government. If you think that our counrty is just dandy you need to get help because your mental. We have so many problems. We have murder, rape, drugs, and any other crime. Most of the crime is in our government. What happened to the honor? What happened to true, justice and the true American way? It died with Linocln as I said before. I'm not brainwashed. I want this nation to be strong, but it can't be with those who can't stand up and make change. War changes nothing. It just kills people. Maybe someone who is in the war has the cure for AIDS, but it will die with them. We need people over here. Not in some far off land. Things can be settled with peace. I don't agree with war and I don't believe in it. It's the easy way out. Kill all who oppose. That's your way of thinking and so YOU are like Hitler. You call yourself a priest? Ppl in general call themselves Americans? Be ashamed to be human. I'm ashamed to be the same as you. B/c of people with such narrow minded veiws. To try to say I'm like Hitler. You need some help. And to those putting words in my mouth I NEVER said soldiers are murderers. I NEVER said I hate them or blame them. I said they are aiding in something that they want stopped. The soultion is to stop, duh. Common sense is without soldiers we have no war. Don't put words in my mouth and try to make it out like I'm a hateful mean and bad person. Bugger off. Your small minded and conform to whatever is placed in front of u. Open your eyes. I'm terribly offened by people who call themselves human, christians, and Americans. And ashamed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is my soldier cheating? [ 7 Answers ]

I am 37 years old and have been with my husband for 9 years and married for 8 years this month. He is in the Army and deployed to a combat zone. He has been gone for 8 months. For the entire time he has been gone he has been writing love letters to me and he writes to me about sexual fantasies...

Soldier in Iraq [ 7 Answers ]

So my friend is in iraq fighting the war. I sent him care packages and emails ever since he left. We are just friends and always will be just friends. So anyway his girlfriend has his password to his email account and lately has been checking his emails. She read his mom's email to him, his sister...

Courthouse marriages to a soldier [ 4 Answers ]

OK my name is nicole I am 17 years old. My fiancé is being deployed in the end of August to go to iraq. He is in major debt so we decided before he leaves we were going to get married in a courthouse and have a small wedding with just family and when he gets back after a year and a half we are...

One brave soldier [ 14 Answers ]

I saw this story and thought to myself "what would other people think." so I'm posting it here and would like peoples opinions on it. Conscientious Rejector? - Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone From Yahoo! News I'll let you all know what I think in a day or two

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

View more questions Search