Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    The Big Dog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Grandparent Custodial Rights in Georgia and Virginia
    Do Georgia and Virginia have laws stipulating Grandparent Custodial Rights where there appears to be abuse or negligence concerning the grandchildren? If so, how do I go about finding details of what process is involved? I am the father of the grandchildren's father and live in Georgia; the mother of the grandchildren's mother lives in Virginia. We are investigating having the 2 granddaughters removed from the custody of their parents since there appears to be abuse or negligence.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

May 27, 2007, 03:07 PM
    All I can suggest is calling a family law attorney. You are in for an expensive proceeding, so be prepared. You have to prove negligence to assume custody, which has nothing to do with grandparent's rights. Grandparent's rights are the rights to have visitation with the children, not custody of them. Basically you will have to file for full custody of the kids based on abuse or negligence and make a case in court before a judge. (Unless there is a chance the children's parents will sign away custody to you willingly.) Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Yes, as vlee mentioned this has nothing to do with Grandparents rights, that is merely their right to visit, and is very limited. What you are going for is custody issues, where boh parents are no fit to keep or raise their kids.

You may will want to get Children and Family services invovled if you are worried about the safety of the children they can take the children out of the home on an emergany basis if they are truly in danger.

But you will need a VA attorney since all court actions will be done there, and expect it to get costly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question on Tenant Rights / State of Virginia [ 4 Answers ]

I have a question regarding tenant's rights and the law in the state of Virginia. I am currently involved in a dispute with another tenant in the complex where I live in Henrico County. I have contacted the landlord on 11 occasions regarding complaints of excessive noise coming from the tenants who...

Tenant rights during foreclosure (virginia) [ 11 Answers ]

I'm renting a house in virginia that I just found out is being foreclosed upon. The landlord won't answer his phone or emails inquiring about the foreclosure. There is an auction for the house on nov. 8. and the winner has to close on the house in 15 days. I want to know what my rights are? ...

Grandparent Rights [ 8 Answers ]

I mistakenly posted this in the wrong section. Do grandparents have any legal ability to petition for visitation rights with their grandbaby if the baby's parents are married to each other and agree they do not want grandparents having access to the child?

Grandparent Rights [ 1 Answers ]

Do grandparents have any legal right to petition for visitation rights if both parents of the baby are married to each other and do not wish a grandparent to have access to the baby?

View more questions Search