Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stjames59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Online Degree Institutions
    Is Almeda University legitimate and if not, why haven't they been dealt with legally?
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

May 26, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Almeda University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2007, 02:17 PM
    It is not against the law in the US, for non acedited colleges to sell degrees ( except in a couple of US states)

They most likely have a bueinss license, and I have never heard a complaint that after you paid your money they did not send you a piece of paper stating it was your degree.

So are they legal, yes, they don't break any laws. Are their degrees accedited by the US Dept of Education, NO they are not.

They sell exactly what they say they do, a non accredited degree.

My church has a school, it is not accredited, we offer religoius degrees to those that show a lot of work or education . WE don't say they are accredited and they are not of much value to anyone except for the honor of the person getting it, knowing they earned it by their hard work and Christian endavors.
    UsBlkgal Posts: 83, Reputation: 9

Aug 4, 2007, 09:24 PM
    I attended a "college" the now defunct "Webster Career College" in los angeles and unbeknownst to us, they were not accredited for our medical administration certificates. Yes, we received certificates, but few found work. There are some schools that don't have much bearing on some jobs, but you can't do brain surgery by the numbers. Anyway, I wrote a letter to my congressman in 1996 and he made them let me out of any obligation. Also so many students complained that they paid a couple thousand and were not employable according to the Los Angeles Medical community. I guess that we should always read any contract and go prepared with questions to help determine if the deal is worth it!

Aug 23, 2007, 04:15 AM
    There is no need to give me a negative response because I posted a link... which is a link to check out a web page updated by everyday people. I guess I should have said always check out Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers and even the better business bureau BBB and see how many people have complained. Google companies and see what other people are saying.
    UsBlkgal Posts: 83, Reputation: 9

Aug 24, 2007, 03:52 PM
    No offense meant. I was only venting about the many scam schools that were run in southern California in the 1980's. I know many people who had similar situations. My comment was not a personal sling. I haven't been to one of those schools since 1984. Besides the state of California passed laws to protect the consumer like myself who was won over by the promise of shaving off a year or so of normal school to make big bucks. I guess that good things come to those who wait.

Sep 4, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by UsBlkgal
    No offense meant. I was only venting about the many scam schools that were run in southern California in the 1980's. I know many people who had similar situations. My comment was not a personal sling. I haven't been to one of those schools since 1984. Besides the state of California passed laws to protect the consumer like myself who was won over by the promise of shaving off a year or so of normal school to make big bucks. I guess that good things come to those who wait.
    Wasn't meaning you... =0)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2007, 12:14 AM
    Karent, Don't worry about it, I think it's plain to see that "Veronica" is being paid by some of these institutions to scour the web for bad press and trying to cover it up. One of the admins on this site has tracked down her IP and matched it to another account engaging in exactly the same behavior.

It's sad that such "institutions" resort to such anderhand tactics to get people to waste a portion of their lives and money on getting a worthless piece of paper under false pretenses. Some people in this world are just disgustingly greedy. I don't blame "Veronica" she's probably just trying to make ends meet.
    OnlineDegreeExpert Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames59
    Is Almeda University legitimate and if not, why haven't they been dealt with legally?
    In the United States there is no national law that requires any college to be accredited or to be accredited even by a recognized agency. Each state can set its own standards. As a result "degree mills" and scam colleges simply move from state to state or advertise as "accredited," with the scam being that the agency that "accredits" them is an agency they themselves created. To protect yourself...

The Diploma Mill Police -- a free online service that will verify the accreditation status of any online college in the USA (and warn you if the stated accreditor is real or fake! Or if there are consumer law suits on file against any fake college) --
    Diploma Mill Police-- GetEducated.com, LLC Online Degree Clearinghouse

Also, see:
    Top 10 Signs You Might Be Dealing with an Online College Degree Mill:
    Online Degree Mills -- GetEducated.com, LLC Online Degree Clearinghouse

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help to me to get a free online Theology Degree [ 9 Answers ]

Hie You all I am a christian and would to to enroll on a free on line course that would get me to do an on line degree course in theology

Recognised Best online Universities for work Experience degree [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Any University which is recognised by Department of Education either regional or State. Offering Life Experience or Work Experience degrees.

100% Free online Phd. Degree in Theology [ 11 Answers ]

How can I Get 100% free online Phd. Degree and certificate on Holy Bible?

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

US accredited Online Master degree Programs in Civil Engineering [ 1 Answers ]

CAn U give me list of US accredited Online Master degree Programs in Civil Engineering. Is Online Master degree Programs in Civil Engineering offered by Bellford Unversity is accredited by US agencies.

View more questions Search