Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alink Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Drywall on ceilings
    We are building our own home to earn equity program. My husband hung our drywall using 1/2 inch sheets on the ceilings with 24" in between joists. We have been told by our drywall finisher that the ceiling will sag because we were supposed to use 5/8. Is there anything we can do now to correct this without redoing?
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

May 26, 2007, 01:30 PM
    In my opinion, you are just Fine. As long as you've done the proper amount of 'edge and field' nailing (or much better would be using screws) there should not be a problem. Without knowing more about the reasons for this persons statement, I can't really say much more. Except that I've used 1/2" (Type X - fire code) drywall in a number of projects and it's Always worked just fine!
    And as for 'finishing', you could probably do that yourself too - and save some money. But that's for another posting.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 26, 2007, 04:04 PM
    It is already up there so just leave it. If it sags then you can replace it with heavier wall, 1/2 should be OK.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Sometimes "Nailers" are Nailed to Joist, Perpendicular to joist. Then Drywall.
    Not sure, If it does sag, and you want to fix. May be easier to secure nailers over existing
    Drywall, and another layer of drywall.
    Possibly install Nailers as decorative over drywall and paint. Forget second layer.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 28, 2007, 04:21 PM
    A lot Of New Homes We Run Into Today Are Built Using Trusses And Are Also Sheetrocked With 1/2, You Really Should Have Nothing To Worry About,
    5/8 Is Used For Commercial Work, Also To Use As A Firewall, Or Help With Soundproofing,
    Your Fine No Worrys
    dwingconcrete Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 11:35 AM
    I am drywalling my bathroom and installing 1/2 moisture greenboard on the walls.On the ceiling should I use 3/8 or 1/2 inch moisture board.I also used a faced insulation on the walls should I also use plastic as a barrier.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Jan 6, 2010, 02:49 PM

Your drywall was correct in saying your ceiling will sag or pillow down unless you used no sag 1/2 rock as the other folks stated you are fine are they drywallers do they know 5/8 has fibers in it so it is stronger and tends not to sag
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 04:04 PM

dwingconcrete
    Use 1/2 green board on ceiling. The facing on the insulation is your moisture barrier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracking, popping noise in walls and ceilings [ 15 Answers ]

I've been living for 3 months in my new 3-story townhome, and I've recently Noticed loud cracking noises coming from various locations along my interior and exterior walls and ceilings. The noise only occurs once, although different locations can pop at around the same time. These noises come...

Popcorn ceilings [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a product to fill in popcorn ceilings. Do not want to remove because of cost related to asbestos.

Condensation on ceilings [ 1 Answers ]

We are having condensation problem in a closet on the ceiling. When checking out the attic for a problem we find that the floor of the attic in that area and the insulation is dry. But in the bedroom area in the attic we find that where a large piece of plywood lays there is condensation on...

Ceilings different levels [ 1 Answers ]

I just removed a wall that was separating my livingroom and my kitchen and now they are two different levels. My kitchen is about a inch lower than the living room.my kitchen is drywall and my living room is ceiling tile how could I join the two rooms without building a header to go over it

Cathedral ceilings in a ranch [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought my grandmothers 1960 ranch. I would like to install a cathedral ceiling in the living room area, is this possible for a Do it yourselfer? It has bolted 2x6 W truss roof I am looking to do approx 15 foot wide section. Would a wall out of 2x4's for the sheet rock at the center beam be...

View more questions Search