Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimberly600 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Noise upstairs in home - Builder, construction
    I live ina 1984 track home in CT that is not very well built. It is 2000 sq foot raised ranch with one bedroom down and 3 up, along with kitchen, lr and dr.

The noise level from downstairs is horrible. I can hear normal walking around and when someone is actually doing anything more than just walking it sounds like a heard of elephants.
    It is fuly carpeted with decent padding.
    IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO REDUCE THE NOISE?? NOT ONLY THE SQUEEKS IN THE FLOOR AND STAIRS BUT JUST THE NORMAL THUMPING??

Secondly, Have to replace the carpet. Would love to put wood floors in LR, DR and hallways but scared that that will only make matters worse. Yes or no>

Or I will replace with new carpet. Which means the old will come up - so now would be the time to try to fix the floor itself and the noise. THANKS
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

May 26, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Try and accoustical floor underlayment, some can be placed under hardwood floors. This will help control some of the noise, but I am not an expert, so I am not sure how much. Iso Step is a company that manufactures a recycled accoustical underlayment. Perhaps you should check them out for all the details.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 26, 2007, 08:49 AM
    A Couple Options Would Be To Pull Sections Of Floor Up And Install Insulation Between The Joist, Or You Can Have Blown Isulation , Theyd Cut A Hole In The Drywall And Blow It In The Ceiling, Just Have To Patch The Drywall In Every Bay.
    If You Go Back With New Carpet You Could Get A Thicker Padding

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reducing upstairs noise [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a privately owned condo on the first floor. The person who lives above me is very nice but I can hear her EVERYWHERE she goes and it sounds like an earthquake, constant STOMPING like stormtroopers overhead. She recently replaced her flooring (new carpet and corkboard linoleum) and it...

Noise in pipes and refrigerator noise with water chugging out of drink mechanism [ 4 Answers ]

Originally, we heard a noise from the refrigerator once in a while, changed the filter which lessened the noise. Now we hear a chugging in the pipes in our bedroom ceiling, kitchen ceiling and in both bath rooms. It occurs occasionally. One night we shut off the hot water heater and it was...

Can the builder sue us for not buying the house? [ 1 Answers ]

Me & my husband planned to build a house with a certain builder here in AZ. It was only a land that we agreed upon it will take months. To nearly a year to build a house. We paid earnest money aware that if we change our minds about the house, we won't have our earnest money back. Something...

New Home construction Fresh air [ 2 Answers ]

My son I sbuilding a new home and the contractor is not planning on installing a fresh air system. I am concerned about this since my son has allergies. Shouldn't a fresh air system be installed either in the HVAC or as a stand alone

New Home W/builder warranty [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a newly constructed home and it has a 1 yr "builder warranty". I am slowing finding some issues that need corrected like "lack of insulation" in the attic, garage, etc to name one. The builder is reluctant to provide the correct level of insulated protection and I feel he is not in...

View more questions Search