Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortsht Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 04:00 AM
    Wage garnishment AND bank restraining order?
    I've been having wages garnished for quite some time, but in addition, the company doing so is also dipping into my bank account and taking MORE money from there. Is this okay for them to do? It's making it quite difficult to make ends meet!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2007, 05:13 AM
    Sure its legal. They obtained a judgement against you and are entitled to go after any of your cash assets to repay the debt. Since garnishments are limited, then they can go after other assets as well.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 26, 2007, 06:49 AM
    They are probably putting a freeze on your accounts, until this is paid, however they can take this money as part of the payment. Talk with your bank and close those accounts. Put your money somewhere else until this is over, and be aware that they may have reported you to other banks as well. You may have to deal cash, and pay bills by money order.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 03:56 AM
    Funds cannot be remove from a checking account without a signed order from the court. Just debting the account is not permitted.

If no valid order is present challenge the debting with the bank.

If they had a valid order Writ of Levy or Garnishment they would have frozen the entire account.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    Funds cannot be remove from a checking account without a signed order from the court. Just debting the account is not permitted.

If no valid order is present challange the debting with the bank.

If they had a valid order Writ of Levy or Garnishment they would have frozen the entire account.

Right - I have never heard of a bank account being routinely debited to pay a debt without the account owner's consent.* I would think once the first debit occurred the account would be closed by the account owner and that would be the end of that!

Once a Writ is served on the Bank (and the Bank must notify you it has been served) you cannot withdraw funds from the account. The Bank will send what you have in the account up to the amount of the judgment and then if there is any excess you can withdraw the funds.

*I have seen debtors agreeing to periodic withdrawals to pay a debt in lieu of writing checks. Is this what happened?

Did they freeze the account and remove all funds as of a certain date? This is a "one shot" thing, not a regular debit.

Confused -
    shortsht Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 09:20 AM
    There has been 'freezes' on the account several times. And yes, there has been court orders to remove money. I just figured if they are doing that, why would they take from my so small paycheck in addition? We have stopped using the bank account, again, and are dealing in cash and money orders. It is difficult. We cash checks instead of deposit them.

Thanks for all your answers.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shortsht
    There has been 'freezes' on the account several times. And yes, there has been court orders to remove money. I just figured if they are doing that, why would they take from my so small paycheck in addition? We have stopped using the bank account, again, and are dealing in cash and money orders. It is difficult. We cash checks instead of deposit them.

Thanks for all your answers.

They will take from any source they can because they want the debt paid back and legally they can use both means - taking from a bank account and garnisheeing wages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stopping a restraining order [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to stop a restraining order?

Restraining order [ 5 Answers ]

I am currentlly with a man who is married but has been separated from his wife for 2 years. He is finally starting divorce proceedings. When he and his wife first separated she took out a restraining order to the effect that I cannot be around their 3 year old daughter. It has been almost 2...

Restraining order [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone get a restraining order based on a threat?

Can I get a restraining order against my parents? [ 5 Answers ]

I am filing for emancipation and I am wondering if I can file a restraining order against my parents so that they can not touch me and hurt me.

View more questions Search