Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wiggitywackiraq Posts: 39, Reputation: -2

May 25, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Engagement ring upgrade
    My wife and I are soon to be celebrating our anniversary by having a vow renewal, and we have already bought and upgraded her old engagement ring to a larger ring, so she can show it off. Does anyone know where I can go to sell the old one?
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

May 26, 2007, 06:14 AM
    I don't think I would sell the old ones, she more than likely wants to hold on to them. If she doesn't, then a pawnshop or a locally owned jewelry store may buy them (not a franchise store). You won't get much for it, the price will include a lot of factors.
    wiggitywackiraq Posts: 39, Reputation: -2

May 26, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Comment on Ladyviper's post
    She and I discussed it, and she actually brought it up, she like the new one better, but thanks for the tip... I can definitely check the jewelers in my area, and the pawn shops when I get home. Thanks again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Well of course it is too late for it, now but you should have worked the old stone into and with the new settings, or perhaps cut it down into smaller diamonds and set into a necklace or other ring.

But you won't get 10 cents on the dollar at a pawn shop they will give you maybe 50 bucks for a 500 dollar ring if you are lucky. ( at least around here that is how it works)
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

May 26, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Well of course it is too late for it, now but you should have worked the old stone into and with the new settings, or perhaps cut it down into smaller diamonds and set into a necklace or other ring.

But you won't get 10 cents on the dollar at a pawn shop they will give you maybe 50 bucks for a 500 dollar ring if you are lucky. ( at least around here that is how it works)
    Chuck is right, they will give anywhere from .10 to .50 cents on the dollar depending on a lot of other factors. If the stones are large enough you may want to consider resetting them. If you go that route, I would have the stone measured by a jeweler and buy your mounting online or pick one with your jeweler. Stay away from Remount sales, they are too expensive and the mark up is terrible. I wouldn't recut any of the stones, as you could lose a considerable about of carat weight. Also, it is hard to find a good gem cutter around the corner.

Thanks for the rating, I am glad I could help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight? [ 11 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

Getting engagement ring back and boob money. [ 26 Answers ]

My selfish Ex fiancé broke up with again, about 6 times with me. Its been about 3 months since this break up. In the beginning she refused to give ring back. We have been emailing each other a little bit threw out break up. About 2 weeks ago I told her to leave me alone forever. But she still has...

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

Broke up engagement [ 21 Answers ]

I broke up my engagement and feel very ashamed and feel guilty to have brought a bad phase of life to my family.. :( I broke up with that man as I found very difficult to survive with him and he was a drunkard and a loser. My questions are: 1. How do I answer the people that know my...

Old Engagement Ring [ 24 Answers ]

Should you give it back if you changed your mind or accept it because it was a gift?

View more questions Search