Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2005, 05:13 PM
    Another toilet flange question
    I read through all the questions and responses to various toilet flange problems and I think I found the solution from one of speedball1's responses, but let me summarize to make sure. I have a toilet in the basement which is over concrete. I pulled up the toilet and there is no flange. The bolts holding down the toilet were put into a drilled hole then patching concrete was used to hold them (my guess). The toilet drain is 3 1/2 inches (yeah that is the real inside measurement. My problem is the 3 1/2 drain since there are no PVC with rubber gaskets made to fit inside.

speedball1 mentioned that a flange is not necessary and is prmarily used to hold down the toilet which makes sense. He also mentioned to use a wax seal with a funnel (I never knew they made those things with a funnel, but followed his link and saw the miracle device).

Since my drain is 3 1/3 inches, I assume I will need a 4 inch wax seal?

The other option might be to have someone come in and weld a cast iron flange to the opening. Any ballpark estimate of how much this would cost?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 10, 2005, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I read through all the questions and responses to various toilet flange problems and I think I found the solution from one of speedball1's responses, but let me summarize to make sure. I have a toilet in the basement which is over concrete. I pulled up the toilet and there is no flange. The bolts holding down the toilet were put into a drilled hole then patching concrete was used to hold them (my guess). The toilet drain is 3 1/2 inches (yeah that is the real inside measurement. My problem is the 3 1/2 drain since there are no PVC with rubber gaskets made to fit inside.

speedball1 mentioned that a flange is not necessary and is prmarily used to hold down the toilet which makes sense. He also mentioned to use a wax seal with a funnel (I never knew they made those things with a funnel, but followed his link and saw the miracle device).

Since my drain is 3 1/3 inches, I assume I will need a 4 inch wax seal?
    The other option might be to have someone come in and weld a cast iron flange to the opening. Any ballpark estimate of how much this would cost?
    I would not even worry about a flange. If the bolts are still there I would uae them. If not then I would drill 1/4" plastic inserts and use threaded closet bolts. I would then use a 4" wax seal with a attached funnel. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flange Question [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently remodeling my bathroom and I need to fix or replace the toilet flange. The old one is cast iron and broken on one side. My bathroom is currently gutted, walls and floor. I guess my question is should I replace it, since I have no flooring down and if so, how do I go about...

Height of toilet flange above new tile - additional question [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... I just read the question (posted July 18) on this subject and the answer by rickj. I was glad to see it and agree with everything, but when looking at the bottom of my new Kohler toilet, it seems that the 1 inch thick wax ring is going to have to be compressed down to only about 1/8...

Toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing tile in bathroom so the toilet flange is now about approx. 1/2" below the tile. Do I have to remove the toilet flange or are there extensions?

Toilet flange too low [ 1 Answers ]

I discovered a leak in the base of the upstairs toilet that had soaked the subfloor and cause the tile to come loose. I removed the tile and discovered that it had been set on a plywood backer. I removed the plywood and cut out the rotting wood around the toilet. This exposed the ABS plumbing...

Toilet flange [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of re-settin my toilet, It is located in the basement and the toilet flange sits on top of the ceramic tile. It is not flush with the tile. I have reset the toilet three times using various thickness of wax. These only last so long. I have purchased a wax free bowl gasket...

View more questions Search