Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Imagining people in their underwear
    Hey guys, I have a dilemma. I am a young, confident woman but I have a terrible fear of speaking in front of people. I always make sure to prepare myself for speeches but as soon as I get up there I begin to shake, my voice quivers, and I get out of breath. Is this normal? Does anyone have any suggestions on combating this fear(besides imagining people in their underwear, lol). I would appreciate any tips!:)
    fix-what-you-broke Posts: 305, Reputation: 61

May 25, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Lol@ people in underwear comment.
    I know how you feel, I'm the same, I hate stuff like job interviews etc but I think its pretty normal for most.
    I got over it by telling myself that they are just people just like me and you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 07:19 PM
    I too, like your comment about imagining people in their underwear! Great title to you post to get people to notice it! I know that you have a sense of humor and are creative because you have used it as the title. Others may have used something boring or ordinary, like "Fear of Speaking in Public." Or, "Being Nervous in Public."

What you are feeling is normal for most people.

Sounds like an anxiety attack. I used to get them a lot. They were really bad. People can have them in various degrees. I would freeze up every time I had to speak in front of even a small group of people, like even 4 or five. I don't know that people ever do get over the anxiety all of the way. They just learn how to cope with it better. A little anxiety is good. Shows that you are concerned about doing your best. Even after many years of being in front of a television audience, Johnny Carson admitted to still getting nervous before every show.

One of the things that I do as part of my career is give lecture/demonstrations on topics concerning music. I used to write out every single word that I would say.

I found that putting myself in situations where I had to speak in front of people more often helped me to get over the anxiety.

It just took practice. You might practice the things that you need to say in front of a bunch of friends, adults and/or kids who you know will be forgiving of you if you mess up because of nervousness.

Now I rarely use any notes when I speak because I study about what I need to speak about before the event and I have grown to be much more relaxed when speaking in front of groups. That doesn't mean that I don't sometimes prepare written speeches. It depends on the occasion formal or more informal.

That has been my experience, anyway.
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

May 25, 2007, 07:55 PM
    I have found that picking out several people, with three or four who are in the last row or two, then making eye contact with them as though I am speaking only to them helps me to overcome my fear and also keep my voice loud enough to be heard all over the room.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Thanks to all who left me with a comment! You guys have made me feel so GREAT; I will definitely use all of the advice. It truly helps! Thanks again!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Imagining my exboyfriend w/other girls [ 1 Answers ]

My exboyfriend and I broke up about 3 years ago, I moved out of State. We also have a son together, and the last two times we've seen each other, I've convinced him to have sex. He says is not a good idea, because he doesn't want me to get "hurt", but we end up doing it anyway. My problem is...

Why do some people say? [ 5 Answers ]

I am wondering why some people say to use condoms when girls give you head?

Underwear is Important [ 2 Answers ]

UNDERWEAR IS IMPORTANT!! Always wear clean underwear in public, especially when working under your ]vehicle... From the Northwest Florida Daily News comes this story of a Crestview

Hello people [ 1 Answers ]

Does any body here know how to reformat a PC?

View more questions Search