Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apriltour Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 09:18 AM
    UPDATE on Account Attachments and Garnishment
    Ok so I haven't gotten any money back just yet- BUT - the court issued an order to the creditors to remove the restraints from my account andreturn all monies garnished from my pay - I have 20 days to answer where at the time I will accept a settlement and we will set up a pay agreement... this all started back in April - so it does take a long time and a lot of court visits - I had hired an attorney. As for anyone going through this - please do the following:
    STOP ALL DIRECT DEPOSITS Immediately
    DO NOT CALL THE CREDITORS boohooing about your checking account it gives them power - do not send them anything! They are NOT going to release your accounts no matter what they say! That's why they advise you that all information will be utilized in an effort to collect a debt - Don't SEND THEm ANYthING!
    If you can - hire an attorney to go to the clerks office and file a motion (this on the assumption you were never served properly) the judges don't like sewer service especially when the creitor is a notorious repeat offender.
    The attorney can go to the court dates on your behalf so you won't miss work. Once the court issues and order your attorney will serve your job, the creditor and the bank... and all "bad things" should stop.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

May 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Hello Apriltour

How long was your bank attached and pay garnished?
    apriltour Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Well I just got the orderon 5/23 and they were served on 5/24 so next pay period will be garnish free as for the bank accounts not free yet but they were served... this all started on 4/19 - so it takes time depending on the load of the court. My court date was very far out.

Ill post againwhen I get the actual money
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

May 25, 2007, 09:55 AM
    I hope every thing works out OK for you Hopefuly you can make payment agreements with the company that sued you and not have to go through this again I understand how you feel get this... a few months ago my bank account was attached by mistake from a company I had never heard from! I have never even had a credit card!! The bank straighten it out but for a few days I was not able to use my account. The judge was MAD at the company that did this to me and I was told there were some serious consquences behind it! For a while I was scared to use the bank but I still check my account every day. I know mistakes happen but this was totally uncalled for

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment Update & Here we go again, bank levy this time [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all. First thanks for your help and advice on my last post, things just seem to look good, then wham, the bottom falls out. Our 1st court date was postponed as Peoples Bank could not produce documents for the judge showing we owed or had the account. That's because there are none as we've...

Garnishment of bank account [ 4 Answers ]

I just found out that my bank accounts in New York have been garnished due to a judgment from Va dating from 1997. I contacted the lawyer representing the apt. complex where I resided in 1994. (the bank gave me the information) he forwarded a copy of a summons that was served in 1997 to an old...

Bank account garnishment [ 7 Answers ]

I have a garnishment against my personal bank account that has nothing to do with child support, alimony/maintenance or taxes. In reading I found that there are exemptions I can file on the money in this account. I live in Clay County, Missouri and the papers I received from the Sheriff's Office...

Bank account garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

A creditor has garnished my bank account several months ago. How long does that garnishment last? Do they have the right to take any money in that account from now on?

View more questions Search