Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa97logan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Child abandonment laws
    My boyfriend and I live in Illinois. He has joint cusody of his 3 children with his exwife. He was paying almost 50% of his check for child support, and picking them up on the weekends. As of Feb of 2006 he was injured on the job, and hasn't worked since. His ex wife dropped the children off March of 2006 and has seen them 2 times since then. We now have not heard from her in months, and we don't know where she is at! My question is, is there a child abandonement law? Does she lose her legal rights to the children after so long. They have no insurance or anykind of benefits and we want to transfer them to our school district. We think drugs might be involved, and don't want her to have any legal rights to the children. Thank you Lisa
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 25, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Yes, there is and you really need to call and ask a lawyer in your area. This issue for you will be complicated because of all the details. No, she does not just lose her legal right after any period a court must terminate her legal right. You really need to get a lawyer because the laws are different from state to state and only they would know for sure exactly how to advise based on your specific circumstances.
    phenix134 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tawnynkids
    Yes, there is and you really need to call and ask a lawyer in your area. This issue for you will be complicated because of all the details. No, she does not just lose her legal right after any period of time a court must terminate her legal right. You really need to get a lawyer because the laws are different from state to state and only they would know for sure exactly how to advise based on your specific circumstances.
    I am in almost the same situation.
    My daughter who left her two little girls with a friend because her boy friend who is a vagabond [no good]person with two son`s of his own and has now lost or, is going too lose the right to have them on kendos.
    No one knows where they are. The girls have lived with me all their lives anyway
    But, they miss their mother[understandable]
    Sorry.my question is did you get a lawyer and if so what kind of lawyer should I seek.
    Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NC Child Abandonment Laws [ 4 Answers ]

My name is Brandi and I like in Gaston County, NC. I have a five year old son with an ex boyfriend, and I encounter the ongoing problem that the ex, whom I will call Travis, has little to no concern for his son. We have not gone to court for custody, because I can't afford it and the state won't...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a qustion about child abandonment. My son's biological father hasn't seen his son since 9mons of age, my son is now 3yrs old. He does pay child support, not enough in my opinion. I haven't seen him (son's father) since our last court date which was Feb. 05'. I have met a wonderful man...

Child Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of Texas. My daughter is a little over two years old and her father has never seen her. I do have a child support order. Can and how do I file for Child Abandonment so he can never get custody of her?

Child abandonment laws [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé would like me to adopt her four year old son, as would I. The child's father has only seen him a couple times and has had no contact with him in a year. He only pays his child support to get out of jail or else to keep from going to jail he will make a quick payment to save his own butt!...

View more questions Search