Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quen4evr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 04:20 AM
    Herpst Device.orthodontist
    My child had the herpst put in 9/06. SInce then the metal that goes around the tooth on the left side has loosened 5 times and has come off. My Ortho said in the 20 years he has been doing this he has never seen one loosen.

Has anybody ever experienced this or am I alone with this? Why would it keep loosening?

Help?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 25, 2007, 04:31 AM
    That is a HerBst device by the way. Do you think you child may be loosening it by movng it around ?
    quen4evr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 04:58 AM
    A Herbst Device is instead of head Gear. It is rods inside the mouth that pull the jaw forward. It's a lot of metal I must say. For some reaason it keeps popping off around the tooth on the left side in the back. Just wondering if anybody has had this same problem and why it would come off.

Thanks!
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 25, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by quen4evr
    My child had the herpst put in 9/06. SInce then the metal that goes around the tooth on the left side has loosened 5 times and has come off. My Ortho said in the 20 years he has been doing this he has never seen one loosen.

Has anybody ever experienced this or am I alone with this? Why would it keep loosening?

Help?
    Here is some information that might prove helpful:

Excerpt

Trouble shooting with the Herbst Appliances

These appliances cause most of their mischief when they are first inserted. They cause soreness until the patient is used to the appliance. Please place wax or EZO denture cushions over the offensive areas. It is also a good idea to keep cheek pads between the appliance and the insides of the cheek. Do this at night or when getting used to the appliance “arms.”

Opening too wide can be a problem because is can cause the arms to pull apart. Is this should happen, just open wide again, align the arms in the sleeves and close down. Be aware of the “shims” (sleeves of metal used for advancing the Herbst). Be sure to check screws daily for tightness.

Be careful eating foods that are hard, or chewing on pencils. These items will bend the arms of the Herbst or they could loosen the crowns. Do not open your mouth and “play” by moving your jaw from side to side. We find that this bends the rods and will cause a problem opening and closing properly.

Developing “holes” in the cheeks around the upper outside of the Herbst can be a problem. Once the “hole” develops, it becomes sore. The key to healing the soreness is to keep it clean, but no one wants to keep it clean because it is sore, so it gets worse. There are methods for preventing a “hole” from developing. Keep the cheek pads between the cheek and the Herbst, especially at night when sleeping, so that resting on your cheek will not cause the “hole.” Massaging the area with an extra soft toothbrush will help as well. Cleaning the area with numbing medicines containing benzocaine, such as orabase, zilactin, ambesal, etc. are very helpful to use prior to cleaning.

Steven G. Garrett DDS, Orthodontist Winchester, Front Royal and Stephens City, VA :: Offering adult orthodontics, braces for kids, braces for adults, clear braces, Invisalign invisible aligners, orthodontists in Virginia
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Chewing gum and sticky foods are great for loosening any orthodontic appliances.
    Richardatmarcoisland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by quen4evr

Help?
    NO your not alone only in the same doctor boat as everyone else. I am on the path now to finding answers to the same question. And trying to get a profile on the reality of this device... Seems the answer 'wow I have never seen this before is standard'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I/O device error [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Toshiba Qosmio G15-AV501 laptop with a built in SD card reader. I can not copy files to the card. I get a I/O device error. Through control panel I have remove the device and reinstalled the device. Removed the driver and reinstalled the driver. Still does not work. Any suggestions?...

Device drivers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a few questions related to device drivers and Input/Output: Q1: What is a "bus header"? (for example there are USB bus headers and PCI bus headers) Q2: Consider the instruction set of a microprocessor - consider the OUT instruction which sends some data over a bus to a specified...

USB Device [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Western Digital external 160 gig Hd drive connected to my PC through a USB2 port. I'm running WinXP Home. For over a year the drive's been working fine. Recently for some unknown reason, the drive no longer appears in Windows under MY COMPUTER nor it is listed in the Windows Explorer so I...

Device manager [ 4 Answers ]

I know now a little about IRQs and DMAs but I'm having problems about what IOs do. Thank you

View more questions Search