Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hitesh_30878 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 11:01 PM
    Induction type relay
    Why the disk of induction type relay is Elliptical and in spiral shape?
    Why the disk surface and surrounding area is perforated or dotted or rough?
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

May 25, 2007, 09:58 AM
    I never really thought of that. The circular disk is very common and I can see that it is probably to give equal torque on the actuator during a fault. I see this in the old distance relays that have oposing voltage and current forces (The closer a fault is to the relay the higher the current and lower the voltage; vice versa wheh the fault is far away).

Oval disks may be to generate different action on the relay (like an inverse curve or a very inverse time/current curve).

This may be the same with grooves and slots in the disks.

Unless your in a third world country, you won't see many of these being installed.
    Jasween Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2013, 07:41 PM
    The disc is in spiral shape to nullify the effect of restraining spring(used to pull the disc back to its original position when actuating force is removed) which comes in picture when the disc starts rotating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About electromegnet induction type energy meter [ 1 Answers ]

In electromegnet induction type energy meter why the rotating alluminium disk is perforated? Its surface is dotted and rough, why? Send me replay

Induction [ 4 Answers ]

I’m doing a induction proof and need to find a way to prove (k(k+1)(k+2))/3 + k + 1 = ((k+1)(k+2)(k+3))/3. thanks

About electromegnet induction type energy meter [ 1 Answers ]

About electromegnet induction type energy meter -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In electromegnet induction type energy meter why the rotating alluminium disk is perforated? Its surface is dotted and rough, why? Send me replay

Proof by induction [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in figuring out how to prove 1+2n is less than or equal to 3^n by using induction.

Proof by Induction [ 3 Answers ]

I need to prove by induction that: 1/(1x3) + 1/(2x4) +... + 1/n(n+2) = n(3n+5)/4(n+1)(n+2) Thanks

View more questions Search