Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bunkykp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2005, 08:42 AM
    Installing a new shower stall in what used to be an upstairs closet.
    Hi,
    I am helping my parents remodel their home. This is scary since I am learning as I go.
    I am installing a shower stall upstairs in what used to be a closet. I was told you have to set the fiberglass shower base in concrete. I needed to know if this is necessary. I have seen it done with 2 x 4's and shims. I'm hoping there will be no concrete involved.
    Also, is it O.K. to vent the shower exhaust fan out the wall instead of the ceiling?

Help and Thanks!
    Kris
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 8, 2005, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkykp
    Hi,
    I am helping my parents remodel their home. This is scary since I am learning as I go.
    I am installing a shower stall upstairs in what used to be a closet. I was told you have to set the fiberglass shower base in concrete. I needed to know if this is necessary. I have seen it done with 2 x 4's and shims. I'm hoping there will be no concrete involved.
    Also, is it O.K. to vent the shower exhaust fan out the wall instead of the ceiling?

Help and Thanks!
    Kris
    Hi Kris,

We don't set the shower pans in my area but id you need help with the plumbing end I'm your guy in the meantime here's something that may interest you.
    Full Version : Shower pan installation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pdwilly10-29-2004, 10:09 AM
    I am in the middle of a remodel of the master bath. I have a Kohler shower receptor (pan) that is ready for installation. I have relocated the drain, trap (ABS). The trap aligns well with the pan (not glued up yet). The Kohler install instructions say nothing of laying a mortar bed under the pan is this a necessity? Is thinset mortar OK for this purpose, and how large should the mortar bed be? Also, the brass fitting in the pan has been installed using silicone under the flange, the rubber seal and then the fiber seal on the underside all tightened up. Does this sound correct? This is a second floor bath with no access from below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry10-29-2004, 10:46 AM
    Some pans don't require anything under them.

If the pan is flat on the floor, it's fine.
    If there are gaps under the pan, you can use a filler to fill the void.
    We mainly use fillers under deck installed tubs, these are hanging in space from the edges over space. Filling the space there makes them solid and supports the tub from the bottom.

pdwilly10-29-2004, 12:54 PM
    Thanks, Terry
    I just checked with Kohler to be sure. They claim that a mortar bed is not required on the smaller shower pans.(34X48) Just make sure its level and lay 30# felt on the subfloor before installing to reduce any squeeking.

jadnashua10-29-2004, 01:22 PM
    It's not so much a required thing as a desirable thing. If you can, place the pan on a clean flat surface prior to installing it. Take your socks and shoes off. Walk on the top of the thing. If you can feel it deflect/flex at all, you'll be happier if you fill in the voids under it to make it solid. If you can't feel anything move/flex, then don't bother with trying to impove it. The warranty should be the same either way - if the manufacturer says it is not needed.

Plumbers often use both teflon tape AND pipe dope on a threaded connection; either one should do the job on its own, but both usually means an absolutely bulletproof connection.

If you did do this, you'd use a sand/cement mix; not thinset.

A pro can give the specific details if you decide you want to go this route, or check over at www.johnbridge.com for some useful reading on tiling.

pdwilly10-29-2004, 04:25 PM
    Thanks for the guidance. I took off my shoes and just like you said... the movement feels lousy. Sounds like cement and sand and a touch of lime and lay it down set the pan and be done with it.
    Thanks
    Pete
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you need assistance in plumbing click on back but I'm sure some of the other experts have more first hand knowledge about setting a base then I have. Guys?
    You may exhaust the fan out the wall . Since hot air raises it's important to keep it as high up on the wall as possible. Good luck, Tom
    bunkykp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2005, 01:30 PM
    Thanks for the advise!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing shower stall [ 13 Answers ]

I am installing a shower stall in a basment bathroom that was here before I moved in. the floor drain is already in concrete and the walls are already there. My question is all the shower stalls I have found do not have the drain in the right place to drain straight down. Can I build up the shower...

Installing a Basement Shower Stall [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a finished basement. There is an old double porcelain sink and on the opposite wall a toilet which is in front of the old cast iron lead joined main drain. I would like to install a sink and shower in the bathroom. I had a plumber look at it and he...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

No water to upstairs shower [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I hope someone can help! Yesterday I had only hot water running in my upstairs shower and assumed it was a valve problem.. . But this morning I have no water, not even a drip, and when I run the water in the sink in the next room it comes up the drain of the shower and does not drain back...

Shower Stall upstairs Leaking below when used infrequently.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: We had our shower stall upstairs redone. The Contractor ripped apart the old one and built a brand new stall with tiles. The first time it leaked probably when it was used the first few times, then we could not recreate the leak - this was in Nov.2004. In Dec 04, we went on a month...

View more questions Search