Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

May 7, 2005, 06:38 PM
    How do you measure the strength of a nonlinear relationship?
    The correlation coefficient r measures the strength of a linear relationship between ordered pairs (xi,yi). Suppose you are testing the strength of a non-linear relationship. How would you modify the formula for the calculation of r?

To save you time, here is one representation of the formula for r:

r = [ SUM(xi - xbar)(yi - ybar) ] / [ SQRT(SUM(xi - xbar)^2) * SQRT(SUM(yi - ybar)^2) ].

Or is there an entirely different way to measure this?

Thank you.
    HANK Posts: 98, Reputation: 5

May 8, 2005, 02:23 PM
    Wow!
    Linear regression based on assumption of linearity!

HANK :eek:
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 7, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by reinsuranc
    The correlation coefficient r measures the strength of a linear relationship between ordered pairs (xi,yi). Suppose you are testing the strength of a non-linear relationship. How would you modify the formula for the calculation of r?

To save you time, here is one representation of the formula for r:

r = [ SUM(xi - xbar)(yi - ybar) ] / [ SQRT(SUM(xi - xbar)^2) * SQRT(SUM(yi - ybar)^2) ].

Or is there an entirely different way to measure this?

Thank you.
    Yes, linear regression assume linearity, but people model non linnear relationships every day in OLS. Force a linear transformation for the predictor variable against the independent variabe. What I am about to show you is one of an infinite ways to approach this problem. For example, use a quadratic formula lke x+x^2+x^3 etc... to represent the non linearity. If you feel it is quadratic, take each predictor and raise it to a power of 2,3,4,5,6. The carrot "^" means "to the power of". First put in X, then put in X^2 and go on up the ladder until P<.10 or .05 for the newest predictor, depending on your preferences for Null hypothesis significance testing. Open your mind, you don't need a new R, just transformations. Thousands upon thousands of possible transformations exist. You can find some answers in books like "Data preparation for data mining." Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to measure [ 6 Answers ]

We would like to have new windows but I would like to know what size and how many I need. Where should I measure to get the right heighth and width. Is it all right to buy windows from Lowe's or Home Depot? The Sash & Storm guy said that their windows are second rate, why is this? I would like to...

Nonlinear Systems of Equation [ 2 Answers ]

Nonlinear Systems of Equation: Problem: y = x^2 3x = y +2 Any assistance you can give me will greatly appreciated. Thank you!:)

Strength training [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, can anyone help? I just got some free weights, and I need to come up with a workout regime that I can do at home. I don't have a bench, and everything I keep finding at the store includes excercises requiring a bench, so I have to leave out most of the workout, I am so frustrated! Can...

The Strength of Samson [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Samson lost his power when his hair was cut, why? Take care, Hope12 :o

Measure 11 [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I live in Oregon and I was just wondering if somebody could please send me a link or something on all of measure 11. I already know what is on there but if someone could please send me something that has all of it on there, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

View more questions Search