Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SteveGe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Gas Furnace / AC unit fan works. Heat/AC do not
    This winter the furnace control board in my Lennox Gas Furnace / AC unit failed and I had it replaced by a contractor. The contractor mis-wired the thermostat inputs to the board. He wired the Green (fan) wire to the C (compressor connection) board input and the C wire to the Green (fan) board input. He properly wired the other end of the C (compressor connection wire to the yellow (A/C) input.

In this configuration the gas heat worked properly all winter (I was then unaware of the mis-wiring). But once I switch the thermostat to A/C, my problems began. At this point the 3 amp break on the board opened and everything went dead (as it should). So I found the mis-wiring issue and re-wired the inputs correctly, then I reset the 3 amp breaker on the board.

Now... the only thing that works is the fan on "on" mode. When I put the fan in auto and try to run the Heat or the A/C... nothing happens. The board LEDs show the flashes for "normal operation" but I can't get either the A/C or the Heat to start up now...

Are there any other fuses or breakers on a furnace/AC unit like this that I should be checking? Is the Board failing even though the LED show everything should be running OK? Did running 24V down both sides of the compressor do something that would prevent both the furnace and A/C from now working? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGe
    This winter the furnace control board in my Lennox Gas Furnace / AC unit failed and I had it replaced by a contractor. The contractor mis-wired the thermostat inputs to the board. He wired the Green (fan) wire to the C (compressor connection) board input and the C wire to the Green (fan) board input. He properly wired the other end of the C (compressor connection wire to the yellow (A/C) input.

In this configuration the gas heat worked properly all winter (I was then unaware of the mis-wiring). But once I switch the thermostat to A/C, my problems began. At this point the 3 amp break on the board opened and everything went dead (as it should). So I found the mis-wiring issue and re-wired the inputs correctly, then I reset the 3 amp breaker on the board.

Now....the only thing that works is the fan on "on" mode. When I put the fan in auto and try to run the Heat or the A/C... nothing happens. The board LEDs show the flashes for "normal operation" but I can't get either the A/C or the Heat to start up now....

Are there any other fuses or breakers on a furnace/AC unit like this that I should be checking? Is the Board failing even though the LED show everything should be running ok? Did running 24V down both sides of the compressor do something that would prevent both the furnace and A/C from now working? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    I do not work on many Lennox units but I have a feeling the C that you mentioned means common, from the transformer.

If you just have an AC and not a heat pump you should be using two small wires coming from the condensing unit, the color does not matter, one should be on the yellow terminal and the other should bo on the common terminal, then if the colors are right coming from the thermostat you should have a red wire ont the R terminal, A white wire on the W terminal, The green on the G terminal ( which sounds like that is the way they are), that leaves the yellow wire that should go on the Y terminal with one of the wires that came from the condensing unit.

If this answer helps please comment rate it below.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 07:41 PM
    You would do well to go to the section of the sticky at the top of the H&AC forum on thermostat wiring, and also do I have a heat pump. I don't see how connecting both condenser coil terminals to the same side of the transformer should have hurt. There is also a section on checking if the problem is the thermostat or furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RUUD Heat Pump Outside Unit Fan not coming on [ 1 Answers ]

I just closed on my house - made one payment and the outside heat pump is not working!! About 3-4 weeks ago the fan on the outdside unit just sounded a little rough, almost a slight grind/knocking noise- although nothing major or too out of the ordinary for a fan motor ,just a little bit...

Cold Air is coming from my Carrier Gas Pack Unit and I need Heat [ 0 Answers ]

I have a carrier gas pack unit and the cooling part works properly. It's starting to get cold, so I turned on the heat, but only cold air blows out of it. I've contacted my gas company and they said there is no pilot light, so there is no way it could've gone out, and theytold me I should contact...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan works great... Until I add the remote controller unit. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm the "proud" owner of a Southwind V ceiling fan. I'm a pretty cautious person by nature so when I installed the ceiling fan I left out the optional remote controller piece to make sure all works well. Blue and black fan wires to the black wire in the wirebox, and white on white (grounds...

Blower fan works in A/C but not heat [ 8 Answers ]

A couple of weeks ago my Lennox G20Q3E-75-1 was acting up. Gas valve was cycling when calling for heat and then once satisfied and the main burners went out the pilot light was staying lit. I thought it might be the flame sensor as far as the gas valve cycling and didn't want to tear into it so I...

FAN doesn't work when it's 'Auto', but works fine at 'On' in my central air/furnace [ 1 Answers ]

undefinedFAN 'On' or 'Auto'FAN 'On' or 'Auto' Hi, I have programmable thermostat connecting air condition / furnace system. Now if I turn system to 'Cool' and Fan at 'Auto', no cool air come out (compressor works, you can hear the noise). If I set FAN to 'On', life is getting better. But the FAN...

View more questions Search