Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StarvinTeacher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 12:02 AM
    Violent roommate not on lease refuses to leave
    Out of desperation, I moved in with a former coworker. My name is on the lease because his credit is too bad to get an apartment in a decent area by himself. He constantly makes sexual comments, eats my food, and then when I mention something about it becomes angry, yells at the top of his lungs and one time even refused to leave my bathroom saying that the wasn't leaving "until I'm finished saying what I have to say."

I'm not afraid for my life but I am afraid for my possessions, my dog, and my emotional well being. Living with him is stressful.

I want him out.

He did not properly research the law but stated that "how much do you want to bet you can't kick me out."

I was going to change the locks but my dad, who's in Michigan, suggested I don't.

Someone at work suggested I get a restraining order, how will this protect my belongings, dog, and myself?
    Should I have him sign a subleasee agreement even though he technically cannot live here?

Is this an effective way to get him out?
    I want him out ASAP.

Please help.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

May 24, 2007, 07:35 AM
    If he's not on the lease he's tresspassing. Well, I would call the police to remove him. He'll probably fight with the police and end up in jail so if's that what you want, go for it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Hello starvin:

If he pays rent, he's a tenant. If he can show the cops proof that he does, they won't touch it. If you're not fearful for your personal safety, then you won't get a restraining order either.

Therefore, you have to evict him according your states landlord tenant laws. You can find a copy at the top of this forum on a sticky note.

excon
    DC Bob Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 01:19 PM
    I DEFINITELY wouldn't sign a lease with him. Since he has been paying rent, he may have an implied tenant status, and probably has some property rights. However, his harassment of you undercuts his legal standing. Property law does not require you to be harassed by this guy.

I hope this difficult situation works out for you.
    - Bob
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

May 25, 2007, 02:00 PM
    I would talk to the landlord, and see about breaking your lease. If you move out he will have no other choice than to leave. Box up your most prized possessions and store them in a storage facility, have your dog boarded or a friend keep him for awhile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate never got on lease, now won't leave [ 15 Answers ]

I live in Berks county, PA. My roommate and I agreed to share an apt. beginning Oct. 2006. I signed lease but she needed co-signers to get on the lease and promised that she would. She has since then not gotten on the lease and has become an intolerable, irresponsible and violent roommate. I...

Lease up, roommate won't leave [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend has had a roommate since feb. The roommate won't pay on time ever for rent or utils. He is known to smoke crystal meth in the house etc etc The lease is up next month, she doesn't want he to renew with him, but he won't leave. The apt complex would not likely rent to him due to...

Early termination of lease, roommate refuses to pay remainder of rent on her own [ 2 Answers ]

I was renting a townhouse with a 12-month lease with a roommate in PA. 9 months into this lease, I needed to relocate due to a job move. I informed my roommate as well as gave a 30 day written notice to my landlord. The request was for my name to be removed from the lease after 30 days. It was...

Roommate refuses to pay rent [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am from Philadelphia. My roommate and I signed a lease that will expire on 8/31/2007, but she wants to move out at the end of May and wants her half of the last month rent to cover the month of May. He is bounded to the lease until it ends. What can the landlord do to me if I only pay my...

I've terminated a lease but roommate refuses to move out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a roommate which I've given a 30 day notice in writing to terminate the lease agreement (I've posted on the door and had a witness sign it who viewed me posting it to the front of the door since the roommate and I don't get along and my fiancé an I want to live alone and start a family. ...

View more questions Search