Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eyes586 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Home Based
    Does anyone know of a business/job that you can do from your home with out costing an arm and leg to just to start? I don't want to make $1ooo's per week I know that is not real but I know you can make money from home and that there are a lot of companies that use home based people. I would like for anyone who might know or have and idea to share.

Thanks
    Florence:confused:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 12:56 AM
    You don't have to work for a company. You can be self-employed. Although, if you want to work for a company, you certainly can do that. It depends on what your skills and interests are as far as what you want to do. It would be nice to know what your skills and interests are in order to give you a better answer.
    eyes586 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Self-Employed is fine. I am a paralegal and I have worked in Admin for the passed 20+ years. I owned my own travel agency also during this time. I am open to just about anything but selling. Thank you for interest in helping. Please keep me posted of any ideas you might have.

Thank you
    Florence
    merletweb Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Self-employed is OK if you enjoy being an employee. Owning a business and using leverage is the best way to go. Leveraging your time allows you to make money even when you're not working the business. Now that's smart!
    Bocasean Posts: 147, Reputation: 20

Sep 5, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eyes586
    I don't want to make $1ooo's per week I know that is not real

Thanks
    Florence:confused:

I assure you, it's real.

But to answer your question, it's going to be somewhat difficult to find a company who will hire you to work from home if you don't have your foot in the door in some manner.

The reason is that almost everyone wants to work from home if given the choice, so everyone is looking for the same job. Heck, even in this one forum community, there are dozens of posts about this very topic.

Everyone wants the freedom to work at home, but they expect the company to assume all the financial risk.

And I'm not being a jerk or singling you out... I'm just trying to play the role of the company that would hire someone for a work-at-home position.

See, without knowing you before hiring you, they are putting THEIR livelihood into YOUR hands while you are UNSUPERVISED at home. That's a great deal of trust to put into someone, especially if that person hasn't made any sort of investment into the business.

Your choices are to A.) Push your resume out into the world and try to get it into the hands of human resources at a company that offers jobs-at-home positions, or B.) Build your own business and sub-contract accounts that you get on your own steam.

But the latter requires selling skills, i.e. you have to sell yourself and your business.

So that brings us back to choice A, and from my experiences, I feel that your best bet is to either find a company that offers work-at-home career options, and apply there, even if you have to work at their offices for awhile until you can work your way up.

If that isn't an option, try networking and find someone who can influence the company on your behalf.

The fact is, you only pay a fee for home-based business opportunities that you license the right to market... you should NEVER pay a fee to start a job, aside from fees that might be associated with testing/qualifying (such as a personal training license or a mortgage broker license), or if you have to provide your own tools (construction, computer-repair, etc).

But companies are outsourcing less-and-less with new hires, and are instead choosing to remain in-house with current employees who wish to work from home.

It's not impossible, but that's why it's not easy to find such jobs in the Sunday paper or in Google... you've got to dig deeper.
    merletweb Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocasean
    I assure you, it's real.

--- snip ---
    Your choices are to A.) Push your resume out into the world and try to get it into the hands of human resources at a company that offers jobs-at-home positions, or B.) Build your own business and sub-contract accounts that you get on your own steam.

But the latter requires selling skills, i.e., you have to sell yourself and your business.
    I agree with a majority of what you posted. For the most part you can make $1k a week but it'll be in a home-based business not a work-at-home JOB. I'm doing quite well at my home-based business and several of us in our business are making well over $1k a week. A majority of us had no business or sales experience. You're never too old to learn anything.

This is a business not a job. There is an investment but I recovered my investment within my first month. You do have to be accountable to yourself so if you need constant supervision then stick to a job. No one will prompt you to get going in your own business but yourself. Let's face it, not everyone should own their own business. Some people were cutout to work for someone else for the rest of their lives and the rest of us enjoy the freedom of owning your own business. Hey, it's fun too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home based business [ 8 Answers ]

I am interested in doing one of them PT and wanted to know if there are any legitimate ones if you know out there.

Home based business [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering about a website I found that said I could sign people up for credit cards and make a little extra money from home . It had a start up kit for about $30. Is this legitimate, and does anyone know about a similar website? I can't remember the one I found. Thanks

At home data entry jobs or home based business [ 0 Answers ]

Come April 8,2007 I will be laid off from my job and wanted to know if any of these free data entry jobs are legitimate or home bases business are worth doing. If so, where can I find them? Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

Home based employment [ 2 Answers ]

How to proceed to find work at home (computer) for retired female

View more questions Search