Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alinapringle Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

May 23, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Circuit Diagrams
    I have an assigmnent concerning circuit diagrams in series and in parallel. I have a series of instructions for both, but have no clue how to wire everything.

Here are the instructions for the parallel circuit diagram:

1) all bulbs are identical and are connected to the power supply in 'Parallel'
    2) one switch controls everything in the circuit,
    3) one switch controls two of the bulbs at once,
    4) the other switch controls the other two bulbs at once,
    5) current is measured leaving the power supply
    6) current is measured flowing into the switch in 5)
    7) voltage is measured across any single bulb

In the diagram, we are suppose to connect wire between one power supply, four loads, three switches, two ammeters and one voltmeter. I know this must be confusing to picture, but could someone give me a hand on this? We are also suppose to state the readings on the ammeters and the voltmeters. I am a novice in this subject, and lack the fundemental skills. Please fill me in?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2007, 06:20 PM
    This sounds like 8th grade or freshman intro to physical science. I couldgive you the answer because I've taught both courses but where is the laerning in that. The whole idea of a lab is for you to experiment and see the results for yourself. Have you set this up and made all of your connections in parallel? I'm guessing your using batteries and a flashlight bulb. Come back with your answer and I'll give you some pointers but not the answer.

May 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Splendid.
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

May 23, 2007, 07:26 PM
    You must have had some instruction on series and parallel circuits prior to this. This quiz is a basic (Do you get it) diagram. If you can't they you need to review just a bit there is nothing hard about what is being asked of you. Do you really need help or just looking for the answer. If you don't get it ask your teach for a review. Are there any parts you can handle? What part is giving you the trouble?

May 31, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Well by now the subject is done, and we're onto a test tomorrow. I'm fine with connecting everything together, as we have had several worksheets to complete over the past few days. What I'm having trouble with is the readings on the ammeters. I know that for the voltmeters, you divide the total amount of volts by the total amount of loads. For the ammeters, I am not sure how to calculate the current.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alinapringle
    For the ammeters, I am not sure how to calculate the current.

Huh? Ammeters measure current directly - nothing to calculate! Like looking at the speedometer in your car and wondering how to determine your speed! What am I missing here?

May 31, 2007, 07:06 PM
    I'm talking about in a diagram. We are told to determine the reading of an ammeter. Does each bulb measure up to 0.5 amperes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 1, 2007, 05:45 AM
    In parallel circuits, assuming that the bulbs are all identical, the current flowing from the power supplywill be split 4 ways into the 4 bulbs (there are 4 bulbs, right? It's a little unclear from the problem description). So if you know the current flow at the power supply, divide that by 4 to find the current flow through any one bulb. The current through a switch that controls 2 bulbs is the sum of the currents flowing through those 2 bulbs.

Jun 1, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Okay, thank you very much for your time and help. I figured it out the other night, thanks for offering assistance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

B-R Diagrams [ 3 Answers ]

What does a Bohr-Rutherfor Diagram for Oxygen look like?:eek: :eek:

ER diagrams [ 3 Answers ]

What are the min points to be kept in mind gor ER Diagrams??

E-R Diagrams [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My Question 1 is, When we are trying to give a relation with Foreign key referencing only a part of the composite key, it is not accepting the relation. Is it possible? 2. The Foreign key referencing the primary key of multiple tables referencing only one table at a time, is it possible?

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search