Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jonspn Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Briggs & Stratton 12HP2 80700
    Hi,

This unit has given years of faultless service, Until now. The engine always starts but after about 15 minutes will start to hunt. Then it will cut out completely. You can then restart it immediately but it will only run for about 10 minutes. I have changed the Oil and the spark plug. My next task will be to swap out the coil.

Any ideas ?

May 26, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Changed coil and fuel filter, Still cutting out. Carb looks clean, with bowl filling with fuel OK. Not sure what else there is left to check.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

May 26, 2007, 11:58 PM
    Hunting is a sign of fuel starve. Fuel getting into the bowl is the easy part, once in the bowl it is drawn into the throat up through the stem and through a proper sized nozzle. If these are slightly dirty it will starve and hunt. Try choking it a little when it hunts if it starts to smooth out it is a fuel starve.

Don

May 27, 2007, 01:45 AM
    Don,

Thanks for the info. Pulling the choke out when the engine starts hunting does make a difference. The engine picks up and runs a little longer, however it still dies and does so without warning. I suppose the fact that the choke has an effect means that the issue is fuel related.

Looking at the carb with the bowl off it looks as if the stem is screwed in. Is it easy to remove and check or would your advise be leave in situ to blow it through ?

Thanks for your help.

Jon

May 27, 2007, 08:40 AM
    If you have the carb removed and see the stem (main nozzle) remove it, behind that you will find a pilot jet remove it also (presses in) and clean both well.

Don

May 28, 2007, 07:48 AM
    With the carb off and bowl removed, I unscrewed the main jet. The other Jet was screwed in from the top of the carb. I didn't see any obvious push together parts, but cleaned these jets and made sure that the cleaning fluid came out of all the perforations.

Ran the engine again, but still hunted then died after about 10 minutes. The only obvious thing that I can determine is that it only does this when the engine gets hot. Pulling the choke out does prolong running, but eventually the engine dies even with the choke out.

Jon.

May 28, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Check the flow of fuel from tank to carb, it may be a partial block in the tank or filter. Check the fuel cap vent as well and lastly does it have a fuel cut solenoid on the bottom of the carb? These sometimes will fail.

Don

May 29, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Don,

Thanks very much for all your help. What I thought was a good flow out of the fuel pipe was in fact a trickle. A quick clean of the pipe brought down a few leaves followed by the required gush of fuel. It's a bit wet to cut the grass at the moment, but I left the mower running for a while and it did not cut out.

Thanks again.

Jon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

18.5 hp briggs & stratton [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 hp Briggs & Stratton model # 31P777, type # 0348-E1 that is blowing oil out of the screen on the fuel pump. It will blow out about 1 pint by the time I finish cutting my yard. Any ideas?

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Smoking Briggs & Stratton [ 3 Answers ]

My 16 hp Briggs started smoking last fall at the end of leaf season. I thought perhaps I had used too light an oil so I changed oil this spring to start mowing season, but it still smokes like a steam locomotive and does consume oil. The smoke is worse going down hill and less going up hill. It...

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

View more questions Search